New to pool forum with a question

Thesil

Jun 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Hi all, I am new to the pool forum. I am glad that I found this site as it seems to be a very helpful place for pool owners. I have an ig 40,000 vinyl pool for about 7 years. I use a Hayward pump, filter, etc and a blue diamond for cleaning. It is a chlorine sanitized pool. That brings me to my question. I have been routinely shocking my pool every week. I came across an article that says this is not necessary as long as your free chlorine is at an acceptable level. Then in your forum it states that if you do shock, you can do it with store bought bleach of 6%.
also, baking soda to control the alkalinity. Im ok with that as it is much less costly than what my pool store sells me every week. My question is: how much chlorine to shock, and how much baking soda for alkalinity control? . My water has been crystal clear all summer. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
ps, it is a heated pool

Welcome to TFP!

As with any chemistry in your pool, the amount needed depends on your current test results and the values you are trying to achieve. Baking soda is the same thing as the alkalinity increaser sold in pool stores, and bleach is the same thing as liquid pool shock, though the bleach has a little more water and a little less chlorine.

If you'll check out Pool School especially the articles Recommended Pool Chemicals and Chlorine CYA Chart and Recommended Levels you'll get an idea of what to do. Poolcalculator.com can guide you as far as amounts.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I should be purchasing the TF 150 test kit. One more question; how much clorox and baking powder should one keep on hand for future use? Also, for the first time since I have had this pool, I will be going away for about 10 days. Should I be doing any preventative work? and if so, what exactly?

http://poolcalculator.com will help you know "how much". Be sure to fill in the yellow box at the bottom that says "Suggested Goal Levels". As far as how much to keep on hand, that's variable. Your pool will not be the same as mine, so it's something you have to gauge on your own.

If you are leaving for 10 days, you are going to need someone to either add bleach on a daily basis, or you are going to have to add floaters with trichlor tabs in place. The second option is only viable if your CYA levels are not too high. Long trips are exactly why I switched to a SWG.

Sorry , I have another question; I forgot to mention that I chlorinate my pool with the new water cycler packs. They are convenient, but very expensive. I now buy then on the net at 6 pack for $244 no tax and free shipping. Is there any way to bypass this system and keep the pool chlorinated properly?

Yes, in three easy steps!

1. Go to your favorite store (Kroger, Target, WalMart, whatever)
2. Go to the laundry isle
3. Buy bleach

That's all you need, plain grocery store bleach. Using Poolcalculator, you test your water, enter the numbers, then add the recommended amount of bleach.

Those Water Cycler packs are trichlor, and will drive your CYA up. You need to test your water reliably and post the results. You may have an out of control CYA number.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.