Cloudy pool cannot clear up.

I opened up my pool around the first of may and I can't seem to get it clear. I have had 2 different algae break outs. I've shocked it and had to put in algaecide 2 different times to finally kill it. I have put 2 bottles of clarifier and it still does not clear. I'm testing daily and my last test yesterday is: Alk 100, PH 7.2, Free chlorine 4, Stabilizer is 115. I have been reading and realize that the stabilizer is too high. I have done a partial drain and it is still high. The water just remains cloudy. Sometimes it looks white and sometimes it looks aqua. The pool place said that the algaecide has had a chemical reaction with the well water causing the cloudiness. I think I need to increase the free chlorine to make it more effective until the stabilizer reduces. One more thing I changed the pool sand out this year before I started it up. I put the recommended sand and the recommended amount although one of the suction fingers got a crack in it and I lost about a bag of sand in the pool. I fixed the finger and replaced what I thought was enough. Can anyone please give me some guidence?

Welcome to TFP!

We'll get you straightened out pretty quickly.

I think you have the chemistry situation figured out, and your pool store doesn't. With your stabilizer at 115ppm, chlorine at 4ppm isn't good enough. Ditch the algaecide and clarifier. Maintain your pool at shock level according to the Chlorine CYA Chart and follow the guidance in Defeating Algae Consistency is important to getting things done quickly.

Normally the sand level in the filter is just below where the tank starts narrowing at the top.

Welcome! :wave:

You're on the right track. Reduce CYA by draining so that shock level is something reasonable, then take the chlorine level up to shock level and keep it there until all the algae is dead. What you've done so far is drive it back but not kill it all, which allows it to regroup and come back for a counterattack.

A little inspiration:
pretty-black-pool-t58442.html
first-time-pool-owner-t61565.html
a-little-encouragement-for-those-with-algae-and-new-to-bbb-t57137.html
frog-filled-green-swamp-to-oasis-work-in-progress-t48213-20.html be sure to look at page 2
before-and-after-t36785.html
a-final-picture-set-of-how-well-the-bbb-method-works-t33199.html

Ghoward1234 said:
I will try to follow the CYA to chlorine chart so the cloudiness will go away. From the info of the chart it looks like I need the chlorine level to be around 8 or 9. Is that safe to swim? How long will it take for the CYA to get to normal level?
To clear the algae, you need shock level, not regular levels. 8 or 9 will only maintain the status quo.

It is safe to swim all the way up to shock level for your CYA.

CYA doesn't go away on its own. It gets lost by splashout, backwashing, or draining.

These are all really basic questions that are covered in detail in Pool School.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.