Imprecise CYA Testing/Results

Jun 14, 2013
I've been having some issues getting very precise CYA results. I'm using the Taylor test that came with the 2005. After reading the extended test kit directions, the +/- 15 is consistent with what I've been getting, my results are generally 60-70. It just seems like that black dot is always just a bit visible, or I'm just expecting it to be there. Is there any way to squeeze more precision out of this test? =Thanks

HouTexYankee said:
I've been having some issues getting very precise CYA results. I'm using the Taylor test that came with the 2005. After reading the extended test kit directions, the +/- 15 is consistent with what I've been getting, my results are generally 60-70. It just seems like that black dot is always just a bit visible, or I'm just expecting it to be there. Is there any way to squeeze more precision out of this test? =Thanks
As far as I know, no. The imprecision isn't important however. I asked nearly the same question in the past and I was assured that there is enough safety margin in the levels recommended to not lose sleep over this.

Sent via Tapatalk...

With practice you can get it down to +-10. There is a CYA standard solution that you can practice with. You can also pour the water sample from the view tube into the dropper bottle and repeat the test several times and see if you can get consistent results.

Thanks guys, after re-reading the extended test kit directions, I am keeping the specimen tube too close to my face during testing. I was peering down into it from about 6-8 inches previously. I will try keeping it at waist level from now on.

I cannot thank and compliment the folks who post here enough. Tremendous knowledgebase and willingness to share.

One more question on viewing:

I've read that it is best to do this test outdoors with "your back to the sun". With that in mind, should I be viewing the tube in my shadow or in full sunlight. I've found that (obviously) the reading is higher in my shadow and lower with full sunlight hitting the tube.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.