Did I make a horrible mistake?

Jun 20, 2013
We have set up a 12x30" Intex frame pool.

I had intended to follow the BBB routines, but decided to start "easy" and bought the HTH startup set for small pools. Chlorine granules, Stabilizer (CYA) and Shock treatment.

My Ph is fine, so I went right to adding chlorine to get it up to 4. Done.

Then I went to add the stabilizer. The instructions said to put the measured amount into the filter. Well, this pool has only the little cartridge filter/pump. I opened the top, water spilled out, but I gamely poured in the stabilizer to the center of the cartridge.

Now I see all the posts about hanging stockings and letting it just hang out in the pool, etc.. Is what I did a horrible mistake? Please don't tell me I have to drain and refill this silly thing. Are the pellets just going to be sitting on the bottom of the pool now? If they do, are they dangerous?

I had planned to keep testing for/adding chlorine for the rest of this week and then do a shock treatment on Sunday evening and test for CYA in the morning.

Many thanks to anyone who can help this newbie.

If you see granules on the floor of the pool use the little net to stir up the water a couple of times a day and keep the filter running. If there is any still sitting in the filter see if you can get them out with a shop vac. Plug the inlet and outlet and open the filter, take out the cartridge and clean it out as best you can. You may need to replace the cartridge if the granules don't hose off.

Its not a big disaster, just a mess. If you get it cleaned out you can have the CYA level tested and then put what you need in a sock and hang it in front of the return. Give it a few good squeezes every day until it is all dissolved.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.