AGP base

May 22, 2013
El Paso, TX
First, I want to say I love the site, and have recieved really great information and advice so far.

So here's my problem. I set my 15' x 42" metal frame pool up in my backyard, which I thought was level and relatively clean of debris. After setting it up, I've noticed rocks under the bottom of the pool, which have caused minor leaks that I've fixed with the underwater patches. However, since the water was leaking, it softened the ground around the support legs, causing them to sink and make the pool really unlevel. I am draining the pool now, and want to prep the site better for it. I've seen confusing information on the use of sand, and don't think I can afford to buy expensive pads or build a permanent concrete pad for a temporary pool. I am looking into how much it will cost to by enough sand for a 16'x16'x2" base. If I were to place that sand beneath the pool, would it not just be smashed outward when the pool was filled? I am just not real sure what to do, and wish I had thought a little more about it before I set it up.

Sand is not your friend when looking to make a base for a pool. It does not compact. Sand can be used in the middle area to soften the ground.

The best method is to find the lowest spot in your pool area and dig down the other areas until you have a level pad the size of the pool plus two feet. I had a "tractor guy" do it in less than two hours with his bobcat tractor and laser level.

After you have level area, you should use concrete pavers under each leg riser to prevent them from sinking into the ground. They should be dug into the ground, level with the rest of the pad.

I just finished leveling, putting concrete pavers where the legs go, and laying down some old carpet that I got from the dumpsters of local carpet places. I put it beneath the tarp that came with the pool, and it seems to cushion it rather nicely, while protecting from the tiny rocks and "burrs"that are common here in El Paso. I'm refilling the pool as I type.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.