Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: the results are in... and the winner is.....!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

the results are in... and the winner is.....!!!

Got my test kit today, so after the kids were finished in it I went on my maiden to free myself of the drudgery of taking a sample to the local pool store, though i think i might have some issues and need a bit of guidance
    the results look like this

"mountain lake" pool, water is crystal clear, swg.. 34K capacity,

pH - 8.2
    CL Br 5-10
    TA 30
    CH 290
    CYA 85

so then i went to the calculator,
    PH - add 21 oz of muriatic

TA - 558 oz of baking soda
    CH - replace 10% of the water
    CYA - replace 53% of the water

i musta went wrong somewhere, i am grateful for all of your input, i will do my part and go read up on the water and would appreciate some feedback in the meantime

Thanks
    Evan
    34k Gunite IGP, 8person attach spa, 4cart filter, 40k btu heater, , SWG, 3m marbelite finish, 12 panel fafco solar heater

2. Back To Top    #2
    The default Goal numbers in my Pool Calculator are not ideal for everyone, they are simply sample numbers.

You want to lower PH and raise TA. CH is fine where it is. CYA is high, but you can get by with CYA that high and let it come down by it's self.

I would start by lowering PH to somewhere around 7.2 to 7.4. Then raise the TA. Then check and adjust the PH again as needed.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion

You want to lower PH and raise TA. CH is fine where it is. CYA is high, but you can get by with CYA that high and let it come down by it's self.

I would start by lowering PH to somewhere around 7.2 to 7.4. Then raise the TA. Then check and adjust the PH again as needed.
    Thanks, i will put half gallon of muriatic in it, see where it ends up, when i went to the pool folks, it seemed like a gallon of acid every 10 days seemed like the ticket to get my ph towhere they wanted it...

the last time i went for a pro-sample, they had me add 5lbs of calcium but i never completed doing that after finding the website. I probably added 3lb it was five pints a night... figuring 5pts = 1lb (btw my pint is an old won-ton soup dish, should i find something 'exacting'?

One other question is how exact should the test samples and such be, like the 25ml.. and there is one resurgent that must have a super low viscosity cause it just runs out the bottle, its like 2-3 drops in one bottle turn over...
    34k Gunite IGP, 8person attach spa, 4cart filter, 40k btu heater, , SWG, 3m marbelite finish, 12 panel fafco solar heater

4. Back To Top    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by brakes
    5pts = 1lb (btw my pint is an old won-ton soup dish, should i find something 'exacting'?
    Yes, get a cheap kitchen scale and weight out dry chems. Use a mearuing cup for liquid ones.

One other question is how exact should the test samples and such be, like the 25ml..
    The should be exact. 25 ml means 25 ml and not 22 ml or 28 ml if you want your test results to be meaningful.

and there is one resurgent that must have a super low viscosity cause it just runs out the bottle, its like 2-3 drops in one bottle turn over...
    Which reagent is it? None of them should just run out of the bottle when you turn it over unless you are squeezing the bottle also.
    BTW, My name is Evan also and I am originally from Jersey. (Millburn in Essex County) You might want to incllude in your sig that you have a SWG. Your CYA of 85 ppm is certainly fine in that case. Bring your TA up to about 60-80 and you should find that your pH becomes a bit more stable, particularly if you don't lower it past about 7.5-7.6 and only let it rise as high as 7.8.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    Bring your TA up to about 60-80 and you should find that your pH becomes a bit more stable, particularly if you don't lower it past about 7.5-7.6 and only let it rise as high as 7.8.

add baking soda, according to pool calc from 30 to 70 need 319 oz? and then tweek the ph down with the muriatic?
    is this why they had me adding the "calcium plus" I still have some of that, should i just use and check where im at and refigure the baking soda needs?

yes i saw that we shared the same name, and from jersey too, wow, I sent you a PM about the coincidence, did i mention my inlaws live in ponte vedre... breaks out into a round of 'tis a small world after all'

6. Back To Top    #6
    Bring your TA up to about 60-80 and you should find that your pH becomes a bit more stable, particularly if you don't lower it past about 7.5-7.6 and only let it rise as high as 7.8.

add baking soda, according to pool calc from 30 to 70 need 319 oz? and then tweek the ph down with the muriatic?
    is this why they had me adding the "calcium plus" I still have some of that, should i just use and check where im at and refigure the baking soda needs?

yes i saw that we shared the same name, and from jersey too, wow, I sent you a PM about the coincidence, did i mention my inlaws live in ponte vedre... breaks out into a round of 'tis a small world after all'
    upon further review... no the calcium woulndt be for the TA it would be for the CALCIUM!

ok todays readings are...
    ph7.9
    TA 25
    CH280
    cya 50

Question on the cya, the black dot should be gone, right? only white? i did that test twice cause the first time it was higher at 85..

I found i have a bucket of TA Plus, sodium hydrogen carbonate, about 9lbs of it, its almost the right amount for my needs to i will add that and see what happens, i added 45 oz of muriatic tonight, to pull the ph down some more... is there a timing thing, like 'x' amount of hours between soda and acid? and about how long should the pool be without youthers after adding acid
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Back To Top    #7
    Hey brakes,

Here's what the CYA test should look like: http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Chemi ... ntentID=44

This helped me lots
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by jjparrish
    Hey brakes,

Here's what the CYA test should look like: http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Chemi ... ntentID=44

This helped me lots
    awesome!! thanks for that!!

9. Back To Top    #9
    It's even smaller than you think! I live in North Beach which is just south of Ponte Vedra on A1A!

10. Back To Top    #10
    In my world people ask about the results of the product i sell, in my answer i always include,
    "it has alot to do with the loose nut behind the wheel'

Well in my tests, seems i forgot to multiply

as of today,
    my
    ph - 7.6

and then i did the TA test just cause something seemed wrong.... well i wasnt multiplying the drops by 10
    so my TA is actually 25O
    probably not good... what to do next?

upon further review... no the calcium woulndt be for the TA it would be for the CALCIUM!

ok todays readings are...
    ph7.9
    TA 25
    CH280
    cya 50

Question on the cya, the black dot should be gone, right? only white? i did that test twice cause the first time it was higher at 85..

I found i have a bucket of TA Plus, sodium hydrogen carbonate, about 9lbs of it, its almost the right amount for my needs to i will add that and see what happens, i added 45 oz of muriatic tonight, to pull the ph down some more... is there a timing thing, like 'x' amount of hours between soda and acid? and about how long should the pool be without youthers after adding acid

11. Back To Top    #11
    read the sticky on lowering TA. It will walk you through the procedure and explain as much or as little as to why it works.

12. Back To Top    #12
    read the sticky on lowering TA. It will walk you through the procedure and explain as much or as little as to why it works.
    aeration and acid, ok read the sticky, but something is a bit perplexing, i have a spill over spa, i keep it running 24/7 and with 4 kids and their 'haven't seen that kid since the pool closed' friends in it very frequently, so there must be some aeration already.

Not enough? too much?

on my last visit to the pool store, they had me add 9lbs of alkalinity increase
    could this be the issue? I will follow the sticky, how about timing of the acid and the kids swimin?

13. Back To Top    #13
    If you don't drop the pH below 7.2then the kids can still swim but the process will be a bit slower. Lowering the pH drops the TA. Aeration raises the pH back up without raising the the TA.
    The baking soda (that is all the alkalinity increaser is, expen$ive baking soda) that the pool store had you put in did contribute to your rise in TA. That is what it is supposed to do, after all!

The more you aerate the faster the pH will rise after dropping it. Turn on all the aerators in your spa jets and bubblers if you have them. It will speed the process up.