Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: trouble establishing free chlorine level

1. Back To Top    #1

trouble establishing free chlorine level

I have a 32K vinyl inground pool in central New Jersey. I've shocked it twice and have the chlorinator turned all the way up. My water test results are ph=7.2 ta=110 cya=40 tac=1 fac=0. Please help i must be missing something I'm unable to establish free chlorine residual.
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 hp pump
    Baracuda wahoo automatic cleaner
    Pool blaster catfish battery operated cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2
    You are probably fighting algae. To successfully shock a pool, you have to know what chlorine level you are going to. You need at least 16ppm to achieve a shock, and you need to maintain that level until the chlorine holds overnight.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    I don't think its algae the pool is actually crystal clear. Could it possibly be that the water temp is to low to break down 3'' chlorine tablets fast enough to maintain a residual. I don't have a heater installed. In NJ the air temp has just reached 80 over the last couple of days but drops down into 50's at night. i checked temp of pool water this afternoon and it was 79.
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 hp pump
    Baracuda wahoo automatic cleaner
    Pool blaster catfish battery operated cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4
    You need lots of chlorine. Add enough chlorine to raise FC to 15, wait an hour and test the FC level and add more chlorine to bring it back to 15. Keep doing this until FC stays the same overnight.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School