Starting new IGP. Lots of questions. Thanks in advance

Sef

Jun 13, 2013
First post after a lot of reading here. Great forum and hopefully one day I can contribute back.

I have a lot of questions. I'm starting the process of having an in-ground pool installed. The design my wife and I have come up with is a 20'x40' rectangle with a 8' sun deck across the low end (8'x20') and some sort of bench/step-out in the deep end; making the overall pool size 20'x48'. The low end steps will be off the sun deck. Everything will be contained inside the rectangle due to the fact that we want an automatic retractable cover that will be under track mounted. Due to budget reasons we are sticking to vinyl liner. As for decking we are thinking stamped concrete with cantilever coping.

Options we do want:
Salt generator
Automatic cover (stated above)
Led pool light (Hayward ColorLogic or similar)
No water features
No Spa
Possible diving board in the future
Possible solar heating in the future

So here are some of my questions:

1. Pool wall construction: Out of the three install companies we have meet with, all three suggest something different. One says steel wall because composite will not be strong enough to support a sun deck; One says composite because of corrosion; and the third suggest concrete with vinyl liner (cost is quite a bit more and may be out of our budget). We like the concrete option but may not be able to afford that option. So, is there any truth to a composite wall pool not being strong enough? Do I have to worry about corrosion with the steel walls?

2. Filter: One company said no way for a cartridge and only do sand; another said the opposite. I am stuck between the two (DE is out in my opinion). I've read pool school (great info) which has me leaning toward cartridge, but why would the one installer say no way for the cartridge?

3. Pump: Most of the companies I've talked to so far deal with Hayward. Our design does not have any water features or spa, but is a pretty large pool (35,000 gal+). All the companies offer the Hayward super pump 1.5hp standard. One of the companies recommended to upgrade to a variable speed, specifically a Hayward EcoStar. Is this upgrade worth it at $1100.00? Will either of these pumps work with solar heating if we add that in the future?

4: Salt Chlorine Generator: One of the companies highly suggested the Nature2 Fusion Soft All-In-One salt water sanitizer + mineral pool system. Does any one have any experience with this? Is there any additional maintenance/chemical (or mineral?) cost associated with this as opposed to regular salt chlorine generator? (Edit) After reading the negatives to this system on the forums, what SWG systems do you recommend?

I know I will have a lot more question over the next couple weeks/months, but thank you for all your information. Any other suggestions are greatly welcomed.

Thanks,
Sef

Note: Pool will be located in central NJ if that matters.

Hi, welcome to TFP! Dealers/Installers tend to go with what they know, which is why you will not see a consistent recommendation of one product over another. However I would avoid the one that recommends the Nature 2 system. Our forum is full of complaints about Nature 2 and other mineral pool systems. They require far more diligence than the average homeowner is able to give, are expensive to operate, and they contribute to the build up of metals in the water which may cause staining on the pool surface. Google search nature 2 on the bottom left of this page to read more.

Probably because I'm contrary, point 2 really bothers me. If you want a cartridge filter then you should be able to get a cartridge filter. I understand a pool builder telling you their opinion and even trying to talk you out of something but if you say that's what it's going to be that's what it's going to be. If a builder told me they wouldn't install what I wanted, I guess I'd weigh whether I'd rather have a cartridge filter or a different pool builder. It bothers me when something that's really a personal preference is forced on me by someone I'm paying. Sorry for the rant.

If you want a cartridge filter, get a cartridge filter.

Run from the Nature2 - that is about all my experience let's me comment on.

Well, I guess I can comment on the filters...I LOVE MY SAND - it is sized correctly, etc. and quiet as a mouse and I just love it...but if you love a cartridge as mentioned above, you should be able to get it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.