Pool is now completed but i have high TA and PH

May 28, 2013
Hi guys,

Our pool is open now and I've received my TF100 test kit. I took my first readings with the kit this morning.

FC-4
PH-8.2
TA-240
CYA-60

Test strips were giving me high PH and TA levels also but I waited to confirm with my test kit. From researching the board it looks like I need to add 80 ounces of muriatic and then aerate with the deck jets. Am I on track or are other steps also recommended?

This board is awesome. My wife is already calling me her pool boy :goodjob:

Thanks Guys!

Thanks Richard. I'll adjust the pump run time or SWG % to get FC closer to the 5-6 range. I'm still trying to dial it in. I may add some bleach right away and then monitor it to see if the swg keeps up.

having just dropped my TA from 200 to 120 I'll warn you to be ready to use a lot of muriatic acid. There is a page in pool school that lines out exactly how to do it - you want to lower your pH to 7-7.2 then aerate and let it come up to 7.6 then hit it with acid again drop drop it back to 7-7.2 and keep doing that - I've been doing acid additions twice/day per the calculator it's about 60 oz each time - so I'm going through 1 gallon/day although I have more water to deal with.

Since he has a SWG does he really need to get the FC to the 5-6 range with a CYA level of 60? My SWG manual recommends a CYA of 50-75 and a FC 1-3 (for maintenance) and I had read that SWG pools can get by with less FC - yes or no?

Rossko said:
having just dropped my TA from 200 to 120 I'll warn you to be ready to use a lot of muriatic acid. There is a page in pool school that lines out exactly how to do it - you want to lower your pH to 7-7.2 then aerate and let it come up to 7.6 then hit it with acid again drop drop it back to 7-7.2 and keep doing that - I've been doing acid additions twice/day per the calculator it's about 60 oz each time - so I'm going through 1 gallon/day although I have more water to deal with.

Since he has a SWG does he really need to get the FC to the 5-6 range with a CYA level of 60? My SWG manual recommends a CYA of 50-75 and a FC 1-3 (for maintenance) and I had read that SWG pools can get by with less FC - yes or no?
Those recommendations are probably written by the same guys who make recommendations for pool store test result sheets.

5-6 is a target range for SWG with 60 CYA. When the SWG is off, the level will drop. If he starts the day at 4, there's a good chance it will dip too low. It should never ever go below 3.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.