Hurricane Sandy

mrrcf

Jul 14, 2012
My in ground pool and associated equipment was hit in the storm. A few questions….I have a filter pump, booster pump and heater; all were submerged in salt water. Since the house was destroyed and is no longer there, all electric, water, etc has been turned off. Will any of these pieces of equipment work next year when the pool is turned back on? Is there any issue just leaving the pool covered for the summer other than algae and other dirt? Is there anything I can or should do to the water to mitigate any potential issues? I did have the pool guy blow out the lines after the storm to avoid freezing.

I am sure I can get some electric via an extension cord and water from a neighbor if something can be done. Pool is about 35,000 gallons.

Any comments would be appreciated including recommendations on new equipment if needed.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

Very sorry to hear about your loss. Unfortunately, I have my doubts about any of that equipment working after being submerged in any water, let alone ocean water.

No problem leaving the pool covered for the summer. You will have a swamp when you are readying to get it running again, but when that time comes, we are here to help you through the process.

Thanks for the quick reply, any recommendations on equipment? I have a Hayward filter pump, a Polaris booster pump and a 400k BTU Hayward heater (H series). Are these the best to get? I noticed when I bought the booster pump I had an option for the Q model as it said it ran quieter. My thinking is to head that way as the booster pump seemed to make a ton of noise, are there any that are quieter than the PB4-60Q? Also, on the filter pump can you buy just the pump or do they only come with the entire set up with the basket, etc?

I was thinking about buy a blower so I can close my own pool....would be curious on recommendation there as well. Was thinking I could also use it to circulate the water and maybe through some chlorine in there, algaecide, etc to try to mitigate any issues?

Sorry for the damage, can't give advice on the equipment as I'm a newbie -1st year! But I use a 16 gallon Rigid shop vac (blows and sucks) 6hp and it blew out my 2 inch lines no problem when I closed the pool in October.

On the filter pump, your wet end should be fine. I would look at just replacing the motor. I just swapped the motor on my WhisperFlo and it was a straightforward DIY task.

In Hurricane Floyd in 1999, I lost power so my sump pump went down and my Hayward Super Pump was flooded for three days (fresh water). It started and ran when it dried out, but it bit the dust about six weeks into the following season. I had the motor swapped and the wet end lived on until the whole pool was taken out in 2003. I still have the pump and it works fine (now wired as a 115V portable).

I wouldn't hold out much hope at all for your motors.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.