TFP Expert
Apr 4, 2007
SW Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I've been wanting to tile my poolhouse, but I've struggled to find a tile that I think will work. It's unheated and subject to freezing and occasional rain blowing in, so I believe I need to go with a natural stone or porcelain. Since it's going to be used by people getting out of the pool, I need something that isn't slick when it's wet and people are barefoot.

I've looked at unglazed thru body porcelain tiles like this one from Lowe's, but I can't really tell how slick it's going to be when it's wet and you are walking on it. I bought a sample and have tried it, and sometimes it seems like it has a very good grip and sometimes not so good. It's hard to reproduce kids rushing to get back to the pool with wet feet on a sample. :lol: I talked to a guy who installs tile, and he said that is what they use in public bathrooms. Considering liability, I'd think it would have fairly good traction if that's the case.

Anybody got any experience with tile near the pool?

Right down my Alley. We choose a porcelain that we though had enough texture to not be slippery and we chose poorly. We did not really put ENOUGH water on the tiles (even though we "tested" them in the shower). When there is really a lot of water on them, they are too slippery and it has plagued us from the beginning.

IMO, the only acceptable tiles are those that have grooves cut in them or "sand" impregnated in the tile to give them a rough, grippy surface.

If you are not sure if they will have enough grip, you can just about bet they won't.

I have seen pics of saltillo tile put in freezing areas. They are VERY porous and I can't imagine they would last long in a hard environment. However, the rough, unfinished surface of them seems to provide the "grip" you need.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.