foam board question

lne216

Mar 24, 2013
Central PA
I hope someone can help me. I posted in the AG area about a liner but no one responded. Guess I was in the wrong area?

Anyway, we have an AG pool, 16 years old, replacing the liner for the first time. The sand is compact and as far as we know, never leaked (washed out) etc. We put black plastic down before the sand (as instructed), but I don't believe up the sides behind the sand cove. We are installing wall foam and moving the skimmer and return due to rust.

I was not planning on taking out the sand cove but just filling in the divots(from feet) on it and the bottom footprints. Why fix something that has done well for 16 years? Nothing has grown up through the sand.

So.... would you still put down foam board over the sand?

Since you have been happy with sand, you might as well stick with it. Foam board gives a slightly more uniform surface and is a little easier to work with during setup. The sand always gets a little bit disturbed when the pool is being setup, so it is never completely flat. If you find keeping the sand level during setup to be a pain, then foam board might be worth it, but chances are you will have an easier time sticking with what you are familiar with.

Thank you for your reply!

Of course I would like a smoother bottom than I get with sand. I guess I worry about the foam board lasting another 10-15 years - i.e. shifting, disintegrating, etc. I don't see many posts from those who have installed it a long time ago.

Old liner is still in because new liner is being made. I am not sure how to add the foam without taking out all the sand cove and then purchasing new foam cove, unless I go with a thinner foam board. I don't know. Too many decisions...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.