intex 1600 sand filter - air pushing out?

Apr 19, 2013
I just set up my 14 x 48 ultraframe and the 1600 sand filter. Very excited!

However, when I turn the filter on, water is literally flying out of the output at a tremendous rate. If I release the small knob on the side of the intake plunger and let the air out, it slows to a much slower rate. This is not a big deal if I'm there, but this shouldn't happen every time, right?

OR- I'm just thinking out loud here - maybe it's supposed to come out that fast and I'm just slowing it down by fussing with the plunger? is it supposed to be really fast? like a jacuzzi jet almost? dumb question I realize but this is my first pool...

I want to be able to set the timer for 4 hours preferably at night, so I need to not be there when it happens... I have tried retightening everything, it would appear to me that there is some kind of air coming in and that's what's causing the pressure to be so high at the beginning?

I have a secondary question also - I needed to use the adaptors for this pump to fit with the pool, which was no issue, but I find that the plungers are quite heavy and pull down on the liner a bit - I'm worried that over time that might put too much stress on the liner? should I try to rig things so I can somehow brace the weight from the outside of the pool so they are more horizontal? not sure if this is making sense or I can send a picture.

Thanks so much!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.