Chlorinator injector clogs

Jan 19, 2012
my equip is in my signature - we have a terrible time with the cl2 injectors clogging. the lifeguard kids have to switch out injectors every week, soak in acid, replace, repeat, blah. annoying to them and I worry about their safety with the liq cl2 and acid. I had a suggestion of getting CYA up to 100 ppm to reduce cl2 usage...not buying it. thoughts?

I expect your problem comes down to your calcium level. Have you tried keeping your pH in the low end of the range. I'm not sure that will help with the low pH of the liquid chlorine, but it is an easy thing to try.

what kind of chlorine injector are you using? what kind of chlorine are you injecting?

Im making this all up:

the ph of bleach is around 12.6 which can quickly cause calcium to precipitate. The faster the chlorine mixes with water the faster the ph of the bleach drops. I would say water going over the injector at a faster rate, injecting at a slower rate, a wider opening for the injector all could be things that increase the rate of mixing and reduce the localized precipitation.

If you were to take a small amount of high calcium water and add it to a larger amount of bleach, the ph of the bleach wouldnt be impacted so the calcium would precip. But if you took a small amount of bleach and added it to a large amount of high Ca water, the ph would drop immediately

Do you have PH(Acid Injection) ? Ive been told to keep Chlorine upstream from the ph injection because it will cause calcification of the chlorine line. Ive done this to my commercial pools and still have clogs but not as frequent!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.