cloudy water

May 31, 2013
I want to start off by apologizing if I've wrote something that doesn't make sense. Chemistry was never a strong subject for me! We opened our pool on Monday. We were able to vacuum the algae but I can't tell if I got it all because the water is so cloudy. Here are my levels:

FC-3-6 range
CC-5-10 range
PH-7.5
TA-80
CH-120
CYA-30

The filter has been taken apart and cleaned multiple times because the pressure kept raising too high while we were vacuuming and we couldn't get it lowered without cleaning the fingers. Now the pump is running at 10, which is our normal range.

The chlorine levels are staying stable and have passed the overnight test. I'm wondering if I haven't raised the chlorine level enough to shock the pool? Maybe that's why it's cloudy?

Welcome.
You need to order and FAS-DPD chlorine test to supplement your test kit. It can read chlorine levels up to 50 ppm and it's not a "compare colors" kind of test - its a drop count test and extremely accurate. You can't tell if you have passed the overnight test without it.

Are you using the proper amount of DE? How many cups? Sounds like the kind of filter you "bump" before you have to clean - do you know how to work that filter properly?

Welcome to the forum. :lol: You cannot vacuum algae out of a pool....ever. You must kill algae with chlorine and you do that by shocking the pool correctly.

read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School. FPM is correct, you will need and FAS/DPD test to complete this process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.