Cloudy blue water for over a week

Irishterrier74

LifeTime Supporter
May 30, 2013
Hey all,

First post. I bought my house and inground pool 2 years ago. I'm going on my third summer. The first two years I had trouble keeping my pool healthy. I would end up having to shock it at least two or three times a season.

We had a cartridge filter but decided to go with a sand filter this summer for ease of vacuuming.

I uncovered the pool almost two weeks ago to find a dark green mess. At the advice of a pool store, I poured in shock and algacide and then started with granular chlorine the next day. I had a lighter green soup.

I've been adding liquid bleach after reading some on this site while I waited for my test kit. Well the kit arrived today.

My results

FC 14.5 PPM
CC 1.5 PPM
TA 150
CYA 60
PH 7.2

I've been running the filter 24/7. The pool has been a pleasant blue color but so cloudy I can't see the bottom in the shallow end.

I'm really hoping this site can help. Thanks for reading!

Dave

Welcome to the forum. With a CC of 1.5-------you're right smack dab in the category of needing to shock your pool properly. Please read shocking your pool in pool school and also see the chlorine/cya chart there for shock value you should maintain. Be sure and watch your filter pressure for a need to backwash.

Irishterrier74 said:
Thanks for the welcome. I read the shocking article. Is there a table or something that will tell me how many standard size bottles of bleach it will take to raise my FC level 10 ppm?
Welcome :wave:

PoolCalculator.com , your new best friend :) - after us, of course :-D

NOTE: the calculator is great, but make sure you are using the correct % for the bleach you have. 6% was very common, but lately some of us are only finding 8.25%. No big deal, just change out the 6% on the chart with 8.25%. Oh, and be patient. My water is the same. I've vacuumed, am running the filter 24/7, and brush it as often as I can. I just started, so I should have my overnight numbers tomorrow morning. I don't think I have any serious issues, but it will take time for the filter to clear the water. My CC is .5, or a tad below.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.