110 vs 220 pump wiring?

May 16, 2013
Barto, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Looking at updating my pool wiring. Currently both pumps (filter & booster) are on two separate 110 volt circuits with GFI outlets in the pool house. I want to add a timer and will probably go with the Intermatic electronic which can be wired either 110 or 220. My question is which would be more efficient? I'm assuming 220 as it will draw less current?

It will use the same amount of power since power equals amps times volts. Power is what your electric utility bills you for, not amps. Additionally if you made the switch to 220, you would need to remove the GFCI receptacles and re-feed the pump from new two pole GFCI breakers at around $70 each. There would be slight savings based on reduced E/I losses in the pump feed wires, but the payback time would be on the order of centuries after including the cost of the new breakers. Are the pumps hard wired, or are they plugged into the GFCI receptacles with a cord and plug arrangement?

220V would have the advantage of drawing half as many amps as 110V, and therefore would let you use smaller diameter / cheaper wire to connect the pump, this could be an advantage in situations where installing a new pump some distance from the breaker box.

Ike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.