Is a heat/cool heat pump usefull in NJ?

jtech1

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2009
This is my first pool... never owned one before... getting plastered in a week, and trying to figure out what heat pump I want to use. In general, in NJ, are there ever any days during the peak of summer that you would like to have a cooling heat pump? The heat/cool model is more expensive, and I am just not sure if it would ever be used in NJ climate. I would appreciate feedback in general from NJ pool owners... what is the warmest your water ever gets on it's own without your heater running? Would cooling ever be useful?

With about 33k gallons and about 950 sq ft of surface area, I am concerned about getting too small a unit. I have all Pentair... and was looking at the Pentair 120k BTU heat pump. Other manufacturers have higher efficiency and higher BTU output, but do I lose any functionality and control? ie. the Pentair will connect to my IntelliTouch via the serial buss and take over control of it. Do other models have this same connection? Or is that Pentair only? What functionality would I lose bu going with a non-pentair unit?

I also live in NJ (southern) and moved into a new house with a big pool. Last August, my pool reached 90 degrees just from the sun hitting it all day. I needed to cool the water down and settled on Arctic Rain pool coolers (http://www.arcticraincoolers.com/Home.php) and changed my pump timer to run at night with the pool coolers spraying. It cooled the water down to 82 degrees pretty quick: couple of days. Total investment: $140

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.