Chemical Start up Question.

May 20, 2013
Tulsa, OK
OK, pool install is about to be scheduled. On initial start up chemicially what quantites of BBB materials should i stock up on? Due to spending a few thousand on the pool then the ever popular kids pool Crud ill be forced into purchasing by the wife, if i can i would like to possibiliy start stocking a few chemicals now. Im in process of ordering a TFP recommended Test kit, but any recommended stocks of other products would be helpful to my budget.

Welcome to the forum!

With the exception of a few gallons of bleach, I wouldn't buy anything. Until the pool is filled and you get a test result,you really don't know what you need. Unless it's incredibly inconvenient to get to a grocery/hardware store, I'd just wait. Maybe spend the time pricing the various chemicals at various stores so you can ensure you're getting the cheapest prices.

One thing you can do is test your fill water when you get your kit. That will help predict what you might need.

Thanks for the fast responses. I have read and even printed alot of the pool school of to keep in the car for casual football/cheerleading practice reading. How long is too long to store Bleach? Im a super thrifty shopper and like to stock up when i can if a good deal presents its self.

Good question. Bleach breaks down in the bottle, higher concentrations break down faster, and heat and light accelerate the process. That said, if you can store it in a cool dark place, you'll make it last a lot longer. I'll try to find the chlorine halflife chart chemgeek posted to give something a little more specific.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.