Mustard frustration

caljw

Mar 27, 2010
San Diego
Include me in the ranks of those battling mustard algae, in the shallow.shady end of pool. A couple of years ago I posted about re plaster issues I had with my contractor. Marbling and pitting shortly after the job, it's in this area of the pool I am now fighting mustard for the second seasno. Have shocked at 24, brushed daily and within days the algae was back. FC levels one week after shock still high at 9.

pH 7.5
TA 90
CH 350+ (high since botched plaster job)
CYA 40
Borate 50

Is the faulty plaster an issue? Not ready to add copper....have a great success with TFP!
Thanks.

You know what to do.

If it was me.... when I added the bleach to take it up to MA shock level, I'd try to pour it in that area, and then quickly scrub that wall with a wall whale brush.
98xc600-WallWhale.jpg

That flap converts the backwards-forwards motion you provide to some serious downward pressure that should get into some of those pits a little better.

Thanks Richard...appreciate your encouragement. Re checked the CYA higher than I thought at 60. So the FC is now at 34, brushed and filter running overnight and through tomorrow. Will keep FC at 34 for 24 hrs. Lights removed and brushed also.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Mustard frustration..it's back!

Dang. After a few day the mustard started to reappear. FC levels were maintained at shocks levels(34) per pool calculator for 48 hours. FC has not dropped below 6 ppm since. Running out of R-0871 and patience.... :(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.