Builder issues!!

HudsonViews

LifeTime Supporter
May 20, 2013
Ocean County NJ
I contacted a builder a few weeks ago because I liked his work and had positive reviews. I set up an appt and he had a rep meet me instead of himself, as things progessed I asked him who was building pool he said that occsionaly he will do a project if in his area, as other builder is @ 75 miles away. He then told me he bought the lead and that 1st builder would guarantee work then a week later he told me the 1st builder would also build pool and he would do the landscaping. He gave me a quote and later revised it when I told him my budget and we were ready to go. I asked him for detailed breakdown of product etc as I saw a discrepancy and he tried to tell me that the price was for paver stone and not bluestone that I wanted, he was vaque on my water feature, also equipment was different. He then bailed on me and said that he could not do my pool that the margin just wasn't there that is was only 10% and other guy was to busy to do job and ****** off I wanted bluestone. I told him thanks a lot!! I was pisssed off so I called the original builder and told him guy bailed on me and he said he would do the pool and it was news to him as he hasn't spoken to lead buyer or whatever he was in a couple of weeks.

I figured the 2nd guy was just "buying" the gunite pool shell from the 1st builder thus the guarantee and planning on finishing for me with cheaper equipment then realized I was not going to pay a lot for basic equipment and decided to walk.

I have met with 2 other builders in the interim to see pricing, and waiting to decide which of 3 to go with.

Looking for @ 450 sq ft gunite, with pebblesheen, pentair equipment, saltwater, 10 foot baja shelf. 60 sq ft raised spa with boulder waterfall.

Advice is appreciated along with rough estimate of cost. Anthony sylvan was @55K but they seem like a mill operation.

Welcome to TFP!

Don't tell builders what your budget is and then you won't have to worry about whether your budget is influencing their bid. Write down what you want. Hand it to them and tell them to give you a bid. Once you get the bid, tell them to have a nice day and that you'll contact them if you choose to use them.

We cannot tell you whether a bid is high or low in a given area because rates are different all over the globe. Keep in mind that you are asking for a pool during the busiest and most premium time of year for building pools. Everyone wants a pool when summer starts. If you want a deal, you aren't likely to get one right now. Try back in October and things might be different.

If it doesn't feel right then its best to stay away from those contractors. It rarely starts bad and ends good, more often it starts good and ends bad.

I had my pool put in last fall, we really wanted to do it last spring but knew it was the busiest time and we would not get the best pricing, besides delays are always gonna happen, figure a month longer than what the builder tells you so people starting now may not be swimming until July-August - who wants that aggravation? You'll only stress yourself out! A month delay in the fall doesn't matter...

I don't know where you are but we used Anthony Sylvan and they did a great job, the low bidder on our pool as well. In my opinion its all about the subs because that who builds your pool, you want a guy who rebars, gunites, plasters, etc. every day.

I know there have been alot of complaints about Anthony Sylvan but you have to know what you want and how you want it, otherwise its hard to align expectation between yourself and the builder.

For example, I wanted all PVC in rigid, no flex, well the plumber they sent out started to unload all this flex from his truck and I asked him what he was doing, he said "this is how I plumb all pools", I said "not mine", he argued with me and I told him to leave, I called my PM and they apologized up and down and sent a great plumber the next day who did it the way I want. It was because I was educated about the process (all learned here by the way!) that I was able to spot that issue.

Since it looks like you just joined spend some time here reading, you'll learn a ton and be ready for the builder when you get ready to sign someone up.

Oh, yeah, don't forget to budget for the pool furniture, landscaping, etc. I'm starting to find out the pool was the cheap part!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.