Controllng my Salt Water Cell with Current Relay

May 19, 2013
I just got a new EcoStar pool pump on my pool which replace my old single speed motor/pump. The problem I am having is my pool is Salt Based so I now need one timer to control when my Salt Cell is turned on since the EcoStar has its timer built in. I really do not like have two timers because the chance of them getting out of sync is very large. I was looking into Current Sense relays to detect when my pool pump turns on and then have this turn on a relay to turn on my Salt Sensor. I was looking at the ABB sensor at the below link. Does anyone have any feedback on this problem?

http://www05.abb.com/global/scot/scot20 ... 8D0202.pdf

Ken

Looking at the EcoStar manual it looks like there are 2 output relays from the control panel. It should be a matter of using a multimeter to see how they function (i.e. with the pump on do they go closed, open, etc) and then interfacing them with the salt system.

Current sense relay could probably work too but wouldnt be as elegant or inexpensive (easier to implement, most likely)

EDIT: I see there are a few threads already about this subject on these forums. The suggestion was never to use the outputs from the control board on the Ecostar, and was always to use a current sensing relay so my theory about the outputs could be incorrect. AprilAire makes (relabels?) a current sensing relay for their whole-house humidifiers. Might look into that depending on the voltage specs....its a lot less complex than the unit you linked to before and Ive had one for 10+ yrs now working perfectly fine in my air handler.

I would like to but most of these are controlled via 24vac lines from the furnace. The problem with the pool is that there isnt a nice 24vac signal. These relay is controlled via 120 or 240 and can also sense this at the same time. I have been looking for other all in one control bocks butI have not found any ones this nice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.