Can i install a bleeder...

Jul 31, 2011
Hi all
I have a quick question.
Can drill a whole in the top of the pool pump strainer lid and install a thumb screw type bleeder? Would like to drill a hole install the base with a nut and oring on inside and the have a screw which you could turn to relieve the air pressure and allow it to fill with water.

Anyone ever try? Any reason not to?

Thanks Ed

Welcome to tfp, hog1340 :wave:

Why do you want to install a bleeder valve? If there is air in your pump basket, you have a suction side leak and potentially adding another one is not a good approach imo.

To expound on JB's statement, if you did install one, as soon as you opened it the basket would immediately fill completely with air and the pump would lose prime.

How much air is regularly in the basket?

Fix the suction leak and the air will go away.

[center:2z3ukzzu]Welcome! :wave:

As the others, have stated, no, you can not.

Round up the usual suspects: low water level, stuck weir in the skimmer, loose drain plugs on the
pump, poor seal on the pump strainer basket, and leaks at the fittings, especially any couplings.
[youtube:2z3ukzzu]vtSmfws0_To[/youtube:2z3ukzzu][/center:2z3ukzzu]

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm a little confused. When we vacuum we sometimes get water trapped in the pump strainer area. With the pool of we open the lid and water rushes in to fill the pump. My wife had a hard time getting the lid off and back on, so I assumed putting a bleeder in would make it easier for her to refill the pump and allow it to fill all the way instead of still having an air bubble sitting in the lid.
So can you explain to me how putting a bleeder in would cause air to rush in?
Even with the pool running if you open the lid the water continues to flow in to the pump.

hog1340 said:
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm a little confused. When we vacuum we sometimes get water trapped in the pump strainer area. With the pool of we open the lid and water rushes in to fill the pump. My wife had a hard time getting the lid off and back on, so I assumed putting a bleeder in would make it easier for her to refill the pump and allow it to fill all the way instead of still having an air bubble sitting in the lid.
So can you explain to me how putting a bleeder in would cause air to rush in?
Even with the pool running if you open the lid the water continues to flow in to the pump.

The strainer basket is under negative pressure. Any kind of leak on that side of the pump causes air to be pulled into the pump. There is no air pressure in the pump to relieve, there is a lack of water. Probably from a restriction in the inlet. Vacuuming on a pool with only a skimmer and a large pump can result in a pump starved for water. You can get a plate that will allow the skimmer to draw water around the hose inlet, or you can drill a hole in a standard plate to allow water to bypass the hose as well.

Hey John
Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of a hole drilled in the place top allow water through.
I guess the other option is to put a second inlet in for when vac'ing? I'll do some browsing on the site and see if I can find info on it.
Thanks all for the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.