Basic kit questions

May 13, 2013
Southern Cal
1. Having never used a kit before, how long can you generally expect a kit like the Taylor K-2006 to last? Do you typically replace reactants individually, or end up buying a whole new kit when needed?

2. Do you usually pour the results of a test back in the pool after doing the test? Can doing this cause any issues?

3. How much do you need to rinse/clean out a bottle or comparator between tests to ensure accurate test results?

Thanks!

1. Mine will usually last me at least a year or so. I have the TF100 so not sure how that compares. I replace mine as needed. I seem to use the stuff for the FC/CC test and pH more since I test every day.

2. I do all my testing inside so I just pour it down the drain. When I would do it outside I would just pour it out in the grass.

3. I typically run it under water for about 3-5 seconds and dry out with a hand towel. As long as I don't see any of the color from the previous test I feel it is clean enough.

The reagents can last at least a year if stored in a cool dark place. Although you may run out of some in that kit sooner.

Dump the reagents in the dirt or down the drain.

I rinse with tap water briefly after testing and rinse with pool water right before testing.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

kat.hayes said:
1. Having never used a kit before, how long can you generally expect a kit like the Taylor K-2006 to last? Do you typically replace reactants individually, or end up buying a whole new kit when needed?
Most people buy reagents individually since you will go through some faster (FC/CC and pH reagents in particular) than others. If reagents are stored properly in an enclosed drawer/cabinet in the house or other climate controlled environment they can last between 18 - 24 months. If they are exposed to heat and or sunlight, they will go bad much quicker.

kat.hayes said:
2. Do you usually pour the results of a test back in the pool after doing the test? Can doing this cause any issues?
No, not advised. When done with the test, dump the test sample down the drain with the water running.

kat.hayes said:
3. How much do you need to rinse/clean out a bottle or comparator between tests to ensure accurate test results?
Just rinse the tube with fresh water and let it air dry. On the larger test tubes (like those used for TA, FAS-DPD, CH tests, you could rinse and dry them with a small paper towel. Occasionally on the test block used for the OTO and DPD chlorine test and pH tests, a grayish residue may form over time. That can be cleaned out with either a dab of MA or Clorox (not both together) mixed with water. Place a very small piece (spit-ball sized - that middle school metaphor is the best I can think of) of wadded up paper towel in each column of the block. Cap the block and shake for about 30 seconds or so. Then rinse and let air dry.

1. So it is probably not a good idea to store them in a garage if the garage gets hot?
2. Is there a way to tell when the reagents have expired and are no longer effective?

Thanks!

jblizzle said:
The reagents can last at least a year if stored in a cool dark place. Although you may run out of some in that kit sooner.

Dump the reagents in the dirt or down the drain.

I rinse with tap water briefly after testing and rinse with pool water right before testing.

The extended test instructions sticky in the testing forum has some notes on what to watch for when the reagents go bad.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.