DIY Solar Cover Roller

Johnnybonz, I finally got a chance to do it tonight and it's working great. I just used the ABS pipe and drilled holes in it and then pushed the fasteners that I bought from the Solar Roller website directly into the holes and it worked that worked fine. Whole project costs me less than $50. It doesn't look quite as slick as Mark's but it makes it way way easier to get the solar cover on and off.

BTW I could see the pictures fine and I'm using Safari. Not running Google though.

So I really think it is a GOOGLE issue - I think the OP is trying to figure out what is going on. I might link a image from my google account to see if folks can see as well (or cant see)

OZZZ1REYE1Uf6bv36hGtSzT5hNt3x2AbWeU5V09Fdoo

or this

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/OZZZ1REYE1Uf6bv36hGtSzT5hNt3x2AbWeU5V09Fdoo?feat=directlink

Hi all, just a quick question. So I already purchased a solar cover and before i decided to build one of these solar roller reels, I already cut the cover into 3 sections. My pool is freeform around 17 x 39. Looks like most implementations of this have the rollers along the length of the pool parallel to the solar cover seams. Should I cut the middle section in 1/2 and reconnect it to the shallow and deep end pieces so that I have 2 sections to roll up? Or should I have 3 roller reels going across the width of the pool perpendicular to the solar cover seams? Does it matter?

Thanks.

I don't think it matters, you can have as many pieces as you want. It makes it a little lighter and easier to handle at the expense of more sections to roll up so it is just a trade off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry to bring back an old thread but it's a great idea and I really want to do this to my pool.
I have a fairly simple 35x15 rectangular pool.

I have 2 questions.
Should I cut it in half and make two sections to make it easier and lighter to roll up? Two 18x15 covers? I'm just afraid the middle where they overlap will give allow wind to blow up the seam easily?

The other question is, is it easier to put the pipe in the middle of the cover? That way, when you roll it up, it rolls up both sides at once?

Thanks guys!

Yes, two covers would be lighter than one larger one.

I'm just afraid the middle where they overlap will give allow wind to blow up the seam easily?
Do you get a lot of wind? It happens but not all that often and not really a big deal since the pipe holds the cover too and doesn't allow it to fully blow away.

The other question is, is it easier to put the pipe in the middle of the cover? That way, when you roll it up, it rolls up both sides at once?
Yes, otherwise I don't think it would work very well.

Quick question for Mark or anyone else who has made one. How do you roll it up? Do you have 2 people standing on the pool deck turning together? I imagine un-rolling can be accomplished in the pool and is faster, although also a 2 person job (pulling in opposite directions).

Great idea overall, so thanks for sharing!

Rolling is actually easier than unrolling and because the center pipe is ridged, one person can just turn one end and the entire pipe turns rolling up the whole cover.

Got it. Since there is no folding, I guess all of the water drains off the cover and out the other end when you pull it out from the pool. Excellent idea overall, and one of the best options at any price for those of use with unusual pool shapes. I can't wait to give this a try.

Yes, as Mark stated, rolling it is easier. With the unroll, sometimes I don't get a clean start and one side doesn't unroll smooth. All in all, it is a good idea.

I'm just trying to figure out where or what I am going to do with them come the Fall. Too long to stand upright in my garage as I had originally planned. Thoughts?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.