Still green after shock, floc, and pool first-aid?

orangepower said:
The way we did the math, enough grocery store bleach (gsb) at 8% to raise FC to 30ppm (shock level according to Taylor test kit) would take 7 gallons (around 40$). Or I could have purchased 7 lbs of 70% calcium hypochlorite, with the same effect for $30.

No offense (apparently I came too strong earlier, my apologies), but my pool is 12,500 gallons (so not far off of yours) and my CYA is 70 (much higher than yours), and it only takes me THREE gallons at 8.25% bleach to get to my shock level of 30. So you had to do something wrong somewhere.

Also, have you seen this handy link? A great help when Bleach shopping:

http://poncatechsquad.com/dan/calc/chlorine/

Ace hardware has a great sale going on right now if you have one in your area...4 gallons of 10% for $10.00 which falls into the "GREAT" range on that link.

Walmart brand bleach is usually in the "Good" range on that link also.

Hiesman84 said:
orangepower said:
The way we did the math, enough grocery store bleach (gsb) at 8% to raise FC to 30ppm (shock level according to Taylor test kit) would take 7 gallons (around 40$). Or I could have purchased 7 lbs of 70% calcium hypochlorite, with the same effect for $30.

No offense (apparently I came too strong earlier, my apologies), but my pool is 12,500 gallons (so not far off of yours) and my CYA is 70 (much higher than yours), and it only takes me THREE gallons at 8.25% bleach to get to my shock level of 30. So you had to do something wrong somewhere.

Also, have you seen this handy link? A great help when Bleach shopping:

http://poncatechsquad.com/dan/calc/chlorine/

Ace hardware has a great sale going on right now if you have one in your area...4 gallons of 10% for $10.00 which falls into the "GREAT" range on that link.

Walmart brand bleach is usually in the "Good" range on that link also.

Thanks for the link! I'm heading to ace now. Should I be seeing anything immediate? I mean, it's still a little cloudy.
Thanks, OP

Keep hammering it :goodjob:

Can you see any improvement?

btw, don't test pH until FC is below 10. Higher FC #'s will skew the test results to read higher than they are.

Be sure to keep brushing and backwash filter when the pressure rises about 20%-25% over clean pressure reading.

Keep up the good work and don't forget to add some pics!

::epds::

I had the same first time experience you have now. BUY BLEACH!! In 3 days or less (now 2 at most) you should see the bottom without issue. Keep that FC high and DO NOT USE the tablets. Also dont use bags of shock. It's a real PAIN to correct using too much of that. Trust these guys they know what they are talking about. You should be seeing some results now. If you brushed down and vacuumed your pool regularly (you should be doing it hourly on the weekends when you have algae and in the morning and when returning home during the workday) you would probably now be looking at near clear water. Don't worry once you get this water clear you're going to have an easy time maintaining it. All you need is bleach and rarely you will need to adjust your ph/hardness it'll be easy with the advice here. My problem is I often airate the water and raise the ph too high. Try to relax. You're in a high pressure frame of mind because you just bought a house have a ton of projects have a big commitment and this seems like heck, it really is nothing. Once you learn this will be nothing. Oh and buy a freaking cover for next year, a great one, because you don't want algae to ever look that green again :)

Keep backwashing that filter and if you can't keep an eye on it for a period of time, put it on recirculate at least, do not turn it off until you get this taken care of and dont stop dumping LIQUID BLEACH in the pool.

Thanks for the advice guys. Here is what I looked at yesterday morning! It actually looks milky blue this morning. Obviously I have a new problem, the cloudiness. Should I just try to vacuum a couple times a day or filter it out or what? Is there a secret grocery store item like the BBB method for cloudiness? I am glad that it isn't green anymore; now I just want to swim!!! :party:

Attachments

• photo 1 (1).jpg
    photo 1 (1).jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 157
orangepower said:
Thanks for the advice guys. Here is what I looked at yesterday morning! It actually looks milky blue this morning. Obviously I have a new problem, the cloudiness. Should I just try to vacuum a couple times a day or filter it out or what? Is there a secret grocery store item like the BBB method for cloudiness? I am glad that it isn't green anymore; now I just want to swim!!! :party:
file.php

You need a big bottle of POP. Huge.

Pool Owner Patience.

The filter won't work any faster if you stare at it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
See... keep up with the bleach and vacuum as often as you can. Try not to think of it as doing it for results but as a relaxing stroll around the pool. Keep an eye on the pressure so you backwash when needed. Fyi my pool is now brownish from me killing off the algae, im still learning the ropes too. Once you know what to do you stop panicking and just do what needs to be done. In a few days or a few hours my pool will be clear I don't worry about it. I just keep truckin.. oh and when I moved into the house my cya was 380!!! I had to change my water in steps after my first 66% change I was at 105. I just kept partially draing and filling and keeping the fc high enough. After winter it appears im at 40 to 70 (not too sure but I think closer to 40 but im pessimistic until I get it clear) ill do a 1/3 change if im at 70 aftet im clear and my fc is near zero because I keep killing my grass when I backwash now. Once im at 40 ill sit back and use the pool calculator to consistently maintain the pool easily with about a gallon of bleach once a week.

I over chlorinated to kill off algae this time because I thought the cya was in the 100+ range. My fault for not having a great cya test kit or getting the store to test it. Oh well if my liner fades a little life will go on. My fc is atound 17 right now, best guess because my kit only goes to 10. Good news is there nothing alive in there really so in a few hours ill test again and keep it near 10 and keep an eye for green showing in the yellow/brown. Its time for me to get a great test kit.

UPDATE 5/29

My pool had horrible algae 4 days ago. Pond scum, etc.. Looked worse than I ever had in my life after taking my cover off.

In four days I'm nearly clear.

What did I do?

First I filled the pool and watched as my pool turned greener.

Four days ago 5/25

start ph ~8 fc =0 Target was 25 or so I thought because my CYA was 105 when I closed the pool but I was stupid I didn't test it after I refilled it and took the cover off that day

1. I listened to people that know more than I

2. I bought 20, yes 20 bottles of walmart bleach in the 3 pack <-- this is important because they take them out of these packages to put on the shelf $6 for three instead of $6 for 2!.

3. I heavily adjusted my ph from ~8 to 7.1 Blah too low oops bottle of Pool owner patients was needed

4. I added 10 yes 10 botles of bleach on night 1.

5/26

Woke up early.

5. tested FC =1 Blah!!!

6. raised fc to 20 with 9 bottles of bleach

7. got 20 more bottles and a cya kit (a terrible one at that but hey it worked. CYA=40?! Opps over clorinated!

8. for about 5 hours every hour or so and then every 2 to 3 hours after that I tested the water and raised the fc level to 16 because I assume the cya is higher than the kit says. I don't know how it dropped from 105 to 40 over the winter!

took the nasty picture (wish I took one when it was really bad!)

9. at night I raised the FC to about 20 again because of fear of FC drop

5/27

10. woke up early FC=~16 or so but I don't know my kit goes to 10. and every hour for 4 hours I tested and saw almost no change and FC was holding rather steady at around an estimated 10

11. Started testing every 2 to 3 hours and mostly no change except once FC dropped to 5 once i raised to ~ 10 using the pool calculator because I don't have an FC kit that goes that high

12. brushed brushed brushed vacuumed about once every 2 hours throughout the day

13. at night I did one last test and raised to about 12 because I was afraid of loss at night

5/28

14. Woke up tested FC around 12 opps over clorinated because there is no drop over night and brushed brushed brushed (a little green couldn't see the bottom yet)

15. Adjusted ph tested three hours later to 8 GRRR too high with 1 full box of borax!

16. adjusted ph down 1/2 of amount called for because I'm ticked at overshooting.

17. last hour I took this picture you can see the bottom, its not over yet but I've won all the major battles and I now just have to wait for my victory lap in about a day.

5/29

18. Some significant drop around 2am FC went to about 6 or 7 (best guess) Raise it to 12 again.

19. Some minor FC drop during the day today (maybe just the sun) Brought it back up to about 10 because I think I've won and I feel like I've over chlorinated for three days. The water is nearly clean now.

Attachments

• 5_26_2013.jpg
    5_26_2013.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 129
  • today 5_28_2013.jpg
    today 5_28_2013.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 129
  • 5_29_2013.jpg
    5_29_2013.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 88
I just added 1 more bottle. The fc didnt drop in the range of my test kit but I noticed a little bubbling amd it started to rsin which sometimes causes issues. I estimate im around 12 fc now with 7.5 ph (fingers crossed it stays there) 200 calcium hardness 80 ta 26000 gallon inground pool 1 1/2 hp hayward sand filter

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.