Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2 speed pump and inexpensive controller

1. Back To Top    #1

2 speed pump and inexpensive controller

I plan to install a 2 speed motor on my pump to reduce the energy usage.

I live in the deep south, and figure I will have to kick it on high a few hours a day, and then low speed.

Can anyone recommend a low cost way to control this?
    Most of the controllers I see for 2 speed pumps are expensive.

I have X10 in my house, but not sure how to do this.

Any suggestions?

thanks

2. Back To Top    #2
    You could try something like the Intermatic P1353.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    I like this timer. If you have any specific questions let me know and I'll try to answer. I've been using mine for about 1 year so far.

dave
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

4. Back To Top    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by lovingHDTV
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    I like this timer. If you have any specific questions let me know and I'll try to answer. I've been using mine for about 1 year so far.

dave
    Can this be hooked up to my x10 system so I can control it or monitor it from my computer?
    What do I need for this?

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't believe X10 is supported natively in to timer. There is an add on transmitter that works via Z-Wave.
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: 2 speed pump and inexpensive controller

I always assumed that using high speed was for vacuuming and other maintenance periods only. Are you saying that you need to run on high a certain amount of time per day, plus on low the remainder of the day? Wow - I didn't know that warmer water caused that much of an issue for the filtration system!

For what it's worth, it seems like the least expensive way is to avoid running on high automatically if possible, and that probably means employing alternative strategies to ensure your filter is operating more effectively for you. Perhaps that means a different pump or filter too? Maybe better circulation via an additional return, or adding a drain? So much for inexpensive, eh?

Good luck!
    Scott

27'x52" AG Vogue Impact, Waterway Cyclone 200 cartridge filter, Waterway pump w/2 HP 2-sp motor, 8mil solar cover, Raypak 206 nat gas heater, Pool Rover Jr.