Pool Heater - Pentair MasterTemp or Raypac

May 9, 2013
I just bought a home with a pool and am a first time pool owner. After two weeks my Jandy 400,000 BTU heater rolled out (burned up!) and I need to install a new heater. My pool maintenance company recommends a Pentair MasterTemp 400HD. However when I called other pool companies and researched this online, there seems to be a pattern of failures and poor customer support for this equipment. Many of these companies told me that they have had issues with the equipment, that the customer support is poor for Pentair and followed up with recommending Raypac systems (most of them). It also seems that it is more of a closed system where if something goes wrong it is harder to replace just the failed parts. When I talked to my pool guy he swears that the Pentairs are high quality equipment and that others simply do not understand how they work (they are afraid of them) and that he is one of a handful of registered dealers for the equipment. It seems like an nicely designed unit but reliability is much more important than design to me.

Maybe the reviews on the equipment are old and they are much better now, but I am suspect since some of them were from this year. Any feedback is appreciated.

Go with Raypak. A great unit and is very simple. It doesn't have any extra parts like a blower motor on the Pentair. I see more repairs on the following units, Hayward, Jandy, Sta rite, Pentair.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.