Help with shock process...PLEASE!!!!

Hey guys!!! Just got home from taking my son to school and the test tube water was pink again. It started turning a slight pink within about 3 or 4 minutes after I first did the test and by the time I returned home approx. an hour later, it was cotton candy colored. Is this normal or could it be CC? I'll put in a new filter this morning. Yesterday when I added the granular cya, after about an hour I squeezed the nylon until it was empty of CYA. Will I still lose much by replacing the filter? I don't want my FC to drop too low before I retest CYA in a few days. I think I'll increase FC by 2 or 3 ppm just in case, considering it's going to be sunny here today. Thanks!
I believe there are "cleanable" replacement cartridges available for purchase on line (they cost more for obvious reasons.)
Does anyone know the brand or site that sells these reusable filters???

It might be Pleatco but I can't recall. It was like 2 years ago I last checked.

Disregard the solution turning pink after a few minutes. That is normal. If you used the sock method to apply CYA you are fine and should lose virtually nothing by swapping out a filter.

Just wanted to update you all, I've vacuumed to waste and refilled to remove what I suspected was mustard algae. Also made a skimmer sock with the top of some pantyhose to catch the stuff floating on the water and hopefully catch the remaining of what is on the bottom. The spongy stuff I posted pics of that was in my filter is pollen...so you all were spot on... because I took my wet hand and wiped the top rail and it looked like the same as what was in the cartridge. So other than patching a small hole i recently found, which is currently plugged with a leaf, I guess my pool is in pretty good shape. I plan on keeping it that way!!! Thanks for everyone's time and knowledge. I will definitely be an advocate for TFP :cheers:

I was wondering if anyone would recommend putting some clarifier in my pool since I still haven't completely gotten rid of what we have determined to be pollen in my pool. I've been brushing the bottom daily trying to keep it stirred up. Today, there seemed to be more of it, like it's growing! We've had thunderstorms over the last week and my pool is literally running over. So maybe more poolen has gotten in there. I have no CC, so there's no algae correct?
  • FC 3.5 (then added 64oz. 8.25% bleach @ 9 pm.. I wish the Pool Calc had calculation for 8.25% bleach)
  • CC 0
  • Ph 7.4
  • Alk 100
  • CYA 40
I haven't done the OCLT since a month ago, which i passed, but have monitored my FC daily with my K-2006. I'm going to change my cartridge filter in the morning and put a new nylon on my skimmer. I will admit that I am guilty of using my filters longer than the recommended two weeks. I purchased a skimmer net/sock from Ebay last night, I think it's made of polyester. http://www.ebay.com/itm/360659275196?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649.
Should get it by Wednesday.

This is what is still going on in my pool...these pics are from a month or so ago.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/95691374@N ... hotostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95691374@N ... hotostream

I just don't want any unnecessary chemicals in there!!! What can I do to remove this crud from my pool??? :rant: Thanks!!!

Just put on the skimmer mesh bag and a nylon to filter the stuff on the bottom. Brushed pool to stir it up. Should I consider a clarifier or wait until I do the oclt test? When I checked levels yesterday, I had no CC. Please guide me in the right direction, I can't seem to completely remove the stuff that keeps accumulating on the bottom. HELP!!!!!!!! :rant:
  • Checked levels at 5 pm:
  • FC 5.5
  • CC .5
  • PH 7.8 (not sure what caused it to raise since yesterday)
  • ALK 80
  • CYA 35
Added approx. 16 oz. muriatic acid and brushed to stir it. Going to vacuum after sun goes down. Water is slightly cloudy, which I assume is due to high PH. I should probably check for chlorine loss tonight. Any thoughts??????

I just read through this thread, and I have to ask- does that pump really have enough suction power to vacuum with and or filter effectively? It looks like the one that came with my Intex, only with a timer on it. I didn't bother to connect mine. I draped the hoses over the wall of the pool to create a whirlpool effect, which brings dirt into the center where it's easier to vacuum up. I connected a sand filter to the outlet & return fittings. It has enough suction to vacuum, filter, etc without breaking a sweat. I've had 2 inflatable ring pools before this one, and the pump/filters that came with them were horribly inadequate. This is my 3rd year on a $200 pump/filter combo, I've probably saved more than that in not buying filters anymore. Upgrading to a sand filter & a real pump (albeit entry level) was the best money I spent on the pool. (ok, maybe 2nd best, next to the test kit. Close call there!)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I haven't been shocking at all. I/we determined that I don't have algae (it's spongy and not slimy). I have been maintaining my FC around 6 to allow for 2ppm drop by the end of the day. I haven't had any CC either until a couple days ago. I know that I probably need to test for chlorine loss overnight to be certain that I do not have algae. I also thought about taking some out of the filter or skimmer and do the jar test to see if it grows. I've been thinking it was pollen that wasn't getting filtered. I'll post again once I've done oclt and go from there! Thanks!

OCLT results:
  • @ 12am- FC 7
  • @ 9am- FC 6
  • CC .5
Does this mean I passed or did I take the reading too late? If I did pass, maybe I could put some super clarifier in because it's slightly cloudy and has dusty streaks scattered across the bottom....any thoughts/solutions would be great!!!!!

Even with waiting until pretty late at 9AM, looks like that passes 2 of the 3 criteria ... still the question as to what you are seeing in the water. But apparently whatever it is, is not consuming much FC.

My water is only slightly cloudy, but very blue and clear enough to see the bottom. I posted pics on previous posts showing what was in my filter and the streaks on the bottom if you haven't seen what I'm dealing with. It still looks exactly like that.

Also, a few days ago, I tested zero CC. And now the test turned the palest pink with only one drop to clear. Assuming it's pollen, since I passed the test other than the clarity, clarifier or no clarifier?? BTW, there are little green frogs in the sleeves of the top of my pool where the top rails slide through. I think I removed 4 or 5 a couple days ago.

What do you need to know? You just have to try to filter the water now. Getting one of the Unicel cartridges might help, because those Intex filters leave a lot to be desired.

Should I try some clarifier like Pool First Aid? I've been told it's a good product. I've read some posts on TFP and most of the advice for cloudy water is to first check CC level and filtration. If what I have is pollen, should I first try a Unicel filter or first try some floc and see if the Intex filter catches whatever is causing the cloudiness and what is settled on the bottom? I was even thinking about shocking, even though my CC is .5. I cringe at the thought of spending my summer stressing about my pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.