Opening chemical balancing...

shep377

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2012
First time opening the pool! I used the BBB method last year and it worked great. I pulled the winter cover off Saturday morning, washed everything, filled it up from the hose and got the pump running and dumped in the last part of a jug of 12%CL so I could get the jugs filled. After 24h I vacuumed it and the water looks pretty good to me! It's not totally clear, but I can easily count the ridges in the bottom drain and it is clear not green. +1 BBB.

I did a full test today with the following results:
FC: 3
CC: 0
TC: 3
pH: 7.5
T/A: 120
CH:230
CYA: 30
Salt: 1800
H2O Temp: 60deg

I don't think I need to do a full shock cycle, as I don't have CC.

My plan (in this order) is to: (via thepoolcalculator.com)
1. add salt (~250lbs) then fine tune.
2. add stabilizer to bring up CYA ~80oz to bring it to 60 then after it settles out, fine tune to 70.
3. continue to add 12% liquid CL to keep FC between 3-5 until the water gets warm enough for the SWG to work.

Do I have this about right? Just double checking - thanks.

When your cya does go up to 60, and if the swg is not on yet, your FC level should be 5-9 ppm.

Make sure you are confident that your salt is at 1800 ppm (I saw your other thread but did not have an answer) before adding...easy up, but its drain/refill to reduce.

If you want, get a head start on combating the swg induced ph rise by working your TA down now using the aeration method.

shep377 said:
I don't think I need to do a full shock cycle, as I don't have CC.
If your water does not go crystal clear in a couple of days, I would raise it up to shock level and do an OCLT.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.