Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long can a pump run 24/7 safely

1. Back To Top    #1

How long can a pump run 24/7 safely

I have been addressing an algae problem. My pump has run for the last 4 days solid. My husband is having a fit and wants to put it back on the timer. Is there an amt of time to run the pump after which you should turn it off. My gauge reading is always 12-15 and that is where it has stayed during the last 4 days.

2. Back To Top    #2
    It is fine to run the pump 24/7. The only issue is that it uses more electricity and so costs more than running it less. A fair number of people run their pumps 24/7 for the entire swim season, months at a time.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    A few days or week is nothing to the pump. It doesn't rest overnight, so hours are hours. Some people run their pumps continuously all season long. Mostly people who have waterfalls or other water features, but it is no big deal to run 24/7.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4
    actually a pump is similar to a car. the more you turn it on and off the shorter the life of it will be. Your pump will run much longer the less it is turned on and off. True Story.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you all for replying so fast.

6. Back To Top    #6

My next door neighbors pump is just over the fence from mine. It's been running for almost 2 years that I know of...
    26,000 Gallon Gunnite IGP
    2 HP Challenger High Head Pump
    60sf Nautilus DE filter
    Polaris 280

7. Back To Top    #7
    Just don't forget to check and make sure it has enough gas in it. They don't use a lot of gas but it will burn it up pretty quickly if you do run it all the time.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Gas? Almost all pool pumps are electric.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9
    Mine runs on vegetable oil.. I am going through liners like crazy!!! :P
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal

10. Back To Top    #10

As my husband always says "motors are plugged in ...engines are not!! " He gets really disturbed when NASCAR drivers talk about the "motors" in their cars.
    So maybe there is now an engine for pools, using gasoline?????? LOL :P

11. Back To Top    #11
    I run my pump 24/7, we have deck jets, a water slide and a heat pump that will only work when it is on. That and my hubby won't agree to not running it all the time.
    ~39,000 gallon True L, 43x28x18, Steel Wall, Vinyl Liner; 2 skimmers, 2 bottom drains, 3 returns, 1 dedicated cleaner line with Polaris booster pump; Polaris 280
    Hayward Pro Series 300 pound Sand Filter, Hayward Heat Pump 116K BTU
    2 Hayward Colorlogic LED Lights; Diving Board, X-Stream Slide, 3 Polaris Mini Jets; Step and Leisure Bench in deep end (SwimOut)
    Aqua Rite SWCG with Aqua Plus Automation and Controls (Goldline); Aqua Pod Remote for Controls and Aqua Logic Base Station