How long can a pump run 24/7 safely

grangerhj

Oct 1, 2007
Lafayette, La
I have been addressing an algae problem. My pump has run for the last 4 days solid. My husband is having a fit and wants to put it back on the timer. Is there an amt of time to run the pump after which you should turn it off. My gauge reading is always 12-15 and that is where it has stayed during the last 4 days.

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
It is fine to run the pump 24/7. The only issue is that it uses more electricity and so costs more than running it less. A fair number of people run their pumps 24/7 for the entire swim season, months at a time.

JohnT

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Apr 4, 2007
SW Indiana
A few days or week is nothing to the pump. It doesn't rest overnight, so hours are hours. Some people run their pumps continuously all season long. Mostly people who have waterfalls or other water features, but it is no big deal to run 24/7.

May 25, 2008
actually a pump is similar to a car. the more you turn it on and off the shorter the life of it will be. Your pump will run much longer the less it is turned on and off. True Story.

May 25, 2008
Just don't forget to check and make sure it has enough gas in it. They don't use a lot of gas but it will burn it up pretty quickly if you do run it all the time.

mbb

May 21, 2007
North Carolina
As my husband always says "motors are plugged in ...engines are not!! " He gets really disturbed when NASCAR drivers talk about the "motors" in their cars.
So maybe there is now an engine for pools, using gasoline?????? LOL :p

lorngraves

Sep 19, 2007
N. AL
I run my pump 24/7, we have deck jets, a water slide and a heat pump that will only work when it is on. That and my hubby won't agree to not running it all the time.