New Mini Pebble Plaster Start Up

MarkAZ

Apr 26, 2013
Tucson, AZ
First let me say, I love this website and forum, and have learned a lot so far.

I'm having my pool replastered with Stonescapes mini pebble, and have decided to start maintaining the water myself rather than dishing out the $40 a month that we used to do to the service who over-chlorinated when they came out only once every 2 weeks. Whatever they did caused pretty bad etching in my previous white plaster. I'm confident after finding this site that I can maintain the water (and preserve my new pebble surface) better than they can, and for hopefully less money with the BBB method.

I'm set with my TF-100 test kit, and just want to confirm what I need to do to start up the pool. My plasterer does not have any specific advice for me, so my plan is to follow the steps under "Startup Procedures" and "Acid Start-up" found at http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_plaster_start-up. The sequestrant I'll be using is Jack's Magic the Blue Stuff.

Besides the steps in those two sections, are there any additional steps I should take or things I should do?

Thanks.

:wave: Welcome to TFP, neighbor!!!

Sounds like you had the same pool company I used to have (CYA of 300ppm :shock: ) and my in-laws still have ... their pool has been green for a month ... not sure what they are paying for, but they do not seem interested in listening to me :hammer:

Sounds like you have a solid plan. Why do you think you need to use a sequestrant? Do you have metal in the water?

Some other reading (actually you can learn a lot reading OnBalance posts):
start-up-chemistry-for-plaster-pools-t44431.html

The other option is a bi-card start up:
a-bicarb-start-up-guide-for-tfp-members-t57316.html

Jason,
Thanks for the reply and the info. I don't know that we have metals in our water, but I'm planning in using the sequestrant since it was in the instructions :) ... and I figure better safe than sorry.

After reading the post by OnBalance at the first link you provided, I'm now a little hesitant to do the acid start-up. Maybe I should just go with the "Traditional Start-up", as the plasterer is going to do an acid wash as the last step of the application anyway, and an acid wash start-up might be overkill. Also, from what I've read and heard, the pebble surface is much less reactive than plaster to the chemicals in the water, so maybe a traditional start-up will suffice. I don't want to over-think this if I don't have to :!:

Did you do the new start-up on your pebble sheen, and of so, how did you do it?

(P.S. Funny about the in-laws. Sounds like they'd rather listen to the "pros")
Mark.

I was required to pay someone to do the start up to maintain warranty. I was not impressed with what they did, but honestly I did not pay as much attention as I should have ... that was before I became involved here and likely know more than they did.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.