Adding return for IG vinyl pool without draining?

Isaac-1

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2010
SW Louisiana
As you may know I am having to jack hammer up part of my deck to replace the skimmer and run a new suction side line, while I am at it I want to install an additional eyeball return fitting a few feet down from the skimmer location (same general excavation area) and I am wondering if this is possible without draining the water and removal of the liner. I am going to get the same model of skimmer as the existing one so with luck the old faceplate and associated hardware can stay attached and only the back and attachment gasket will need to be changed. So my questions are can this be done, can it be done as advanced DIY project, and is there any particular brand or type of return fitting that would make it easiest.

Ike

p.s. the pool is a 30+ year old wood frame vinyl pool and the current liner while still in good shape is 6 or 7 years old now.

I don't think you're going to have any luck installing a return fitting without draining the water below the place you want to install it. you could rig up a bucket or box that may seal to the liner and try it that way, but I wouldn't risk it. I'd just drain down below the place I wanted it and then [s:1q90kelj]take a knockout punch to cut the hole with. that way you could leave the liner in place. I wouldn't cut it with a hole saw. If you have an electrician friend they can probably borrow a knockout punch. You may even be able to rent one.[/s:1q90kelj] AND THEN I went back and read the p.s! :hammer:

You can probably tape the liner real well and use a hole saw to cut it out. I would put a lot of pool lube on the saw and keep it cleaned off regularly. That will make the saw dust stick to it and keep it from getting too far behind the liner. Once it's sawn make sure you pull the liner out and clean behind it with some paper towels, etc.

Bama you are still recommending the bucket or box to keep water away from the are the return is to be installed. That was one of my thoughts too. How would one secure the contraption is the real question? You need to force it down and against the pool wall. You could use a small pump to keep it dry if it leaked a little. This is an indoor pool....what type of structure is the ceiling made out of, and how tall is it.....any beams to tie into to to create a giant wedge that would hold box in place?

Ike,

On the intex type pools we just put the bucket/bowl/box over where the hole is with a person holding it in place, once we punch through the water inside the bucket drains out and pressure helps hold it in place. Once you've got the hole you'll have to move the bucket to place the return so some water will flow out. I'd put a winter plug in the return while placing it and then pull the plug after the plumbing is hooked back up and ready for pressure. If you're quick and have help you won't lose much water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.