Another Filter Sizing Question

dougster5000

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 25, 2009

I'm sure this has been addressed a million times, but I will still ask. I have an 7,000 gal fiberglass pool with a 6 person spa that flows into the pool. My pump is a Sta-rite 1-1/2 HP motor with a P6E6F-207L pump. The pump chart says that it will pump 110 GPM @ 20 psi and around 75 GPM at 32 psi. The reason I have this size pump as it is used to supply the flow rate to the spa. I am currently using a Sta-rite PLM 150 cartridge filter, but I am going to switch to a sand filter as I live in West Texas and this spring I have been cleaning the cartridge once a week due to our never ending wind and dirt. My question is shouldn't I size the filter for the pump rate and not the turnover rate of the pool. I was thinking of going with a pentair 100 GPM filter, which I realize is gigantic for my pool, but sized for the pump.

Your thinking is on the money. With that pump a 100gpm filter would be the SMALLEST I would consider.

Confirming what you already know you are w-a-a-ay overkill on that pump. The smallest pump (.5 HP) you can find is perfectly adequate and can save you some electricity and the expense of a large filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.