Pump/Filter sizing

Apr 10, 2013
My Hayward MaxFlow 2HP motor is kaput so I've decided to look for a more efficient & economical pump, as price of electricity here is outrageous (30-cents/Kwh)! I've seen good reviews of the VS and 2-speed motors. However I'm thinking my 2Hp pump motor was probably too big. Last year I had a hard time keeping the water clean with a Hayward S244 Sand filter. From what I've read on this great forum it appears that filter is too small. Our pool is a cantilevered inground 30' x 30' holding about 27,000 gals. (Actually the only part of it in the ground is the shallow end - the other three sides are exposed concrete.) The pump and filter are at the side of the pool on a level with the main drain. All pipes are 1 1/2" diameter PVC. There are 2 skimmers on one line and it joins up with the main drain near the pump. Suction lines would be about 60-70 ft. in length. The return pipe is about 65 ft. in length and has five fisheyes. There are no water features, although I have toyed with the idea of adding a solar heater in the future.

Could you please recommend a proper pump size and sand filter combination. I would be grateful for any input any forum member might have. :)

Filter size would minimum 5 sqft sand or 400 sqft cartridge.

Your high electrical taste does point toward a VS pump. You could get most of the savings with a 2 speed pump by running on low most of the time, but still the VS may pay for itself in short time.

There are a couple smaller VS pumps on the market that are new, Hayward Super Pump VS is one ... it is about equivalent size to the 1 hp Pentair Superflo 2 speed that I have.

Something on that order of size should work. Kind of depends if you have rebates available and for which pumps.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.