Removed cover to take a peek at water and found this. Help!

Apr 10, 2013
20'x40' inground vinyl, built in fall 2011.

I wasn't planning on opening the pool for another few weeks but I wanted to take a look under the cover today just to see if the water was still clear. Last year (our first year) it was green but we put a much improved cover on last fall. This is the mess I found. The water level is about 3 foot low. The original shape of the pool seems to be there under the liner bulges.

My gut feeling is that its my fault for leaving a sump pump in the pool to maintain the level over the winter and its has siphoned off after shutting down the pump. I'm just guessing at this point but it seems like an odd height for a hole.

I'm in shock right now, what do I do?

Will the liner go back to correct shape when I refill?

Is this going to cost me a fortune and is my wife going to kill me?

Re: Removed cover to take a peek at water and found this. H

Sorry to see that, but all might not be lost. There's only one way to tell if the liner will go back into place without wrinkles. That's to start filling it back up. I'd wait till you're ready to uncover it and have a helper or two to help smooth out any wrinkles that may be in there. A soft broom and a plumbers friend will be a couple of good tools to have on hand.

Good luck with it.

Re: Removed cover to take a peek at water and found this. H

The shallow end is basically empty. After finding a post about a very similar situation on here I think I will fill it to 1' to keep it from floating up and then hope for the best in a few weeks when its time to open. At least my stabilizer level with be normal again :S

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.