pool heater turning manual switch off and pump.

Mar 25, 2013
hi all,

the water is now at temp 89. so now the heater reads as being as on and also says "no demand". makes sense since the water is at the set temp.

the pool guy told me to leave the heater on and the pump running all the time.

my questions-

1. are these both needed to be running all the time?

2. is it ok to turn off the heater manually to off and then the pump to off? and turn them back on in the night to warm and filter?

3. should the heater be manually off during vacumming?

4. when i say manually off - i mean completely shutting the heater off with the off switch. i am not sure if this could damage the heater turning it off and on.

the setup of heating the pool -

the pool is heated by the water going from the main drain then the filter then heater then the water goes into the spa which then in turn waterfalls into the pool - this is how it gets heated.

the return valves in the pool are messed up so this is why the setup is like this.

thanks all

1) Actually running, no. That may or may not be what they meant. Normally the pump and heater are turned on and off by a timer or automation system, and you leave their individual switches alone. But if there is no timer or automation system then you will want to turn them on and off manually.

2) Yes, assuming there is no timer to do that for you.

3) It is not a big deal, but yes generally better if you aren't heating while vacuuming.

4) No, that can't damage the heater.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.