Sand really this good?

geekfamily

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 5, 2013
Metro St. Louis
We have signed with our PB, and had our first visit with the foreman. He seemed really good and knowledgeable.

He strongly recommended the Pentair Triton II sand filter instead of our current selection of a 420 cartridge filter. He said with all the spring pollen of the midwest, we would need to clean the cartridges very often...possible once a week. Based on research here, it seems like the 420 cartridge would be very over-sized for our 13,700 gallon pool...and would require very infrequent cleanings. He said the Triton II with ClearPro Tech (TR60CP) would filter to a lower micron than cartridge as well....coming close to DE levels.

He did say he would install either one no problem. Any thoughts before we give him the green light on the 420? Should we reconsider?

Sand is very simple to use and easier to clean than a cartridge filter. Still, needing to clean a 400+sqft cartridge weekly is just crazy talk, it would never fill up remotely that quickly on a pool that size.

The ClearPro technology is very interesting but we have heard rather mixed reviews from the few people who have tried it. It does indeed filter better, but it seems to suffer from getting clogged and being impossible to properly clean, so the pressure goes up with little you can do about it (at least for some people).

I recommend going with the cartridge. I suspect the salesman has some kind of hidden agenda and is making things up to try move a filter they have sitting around (or some similar reason).

I have a Triton II filter....troublefree for 8 years. There is NO SINGLE filter that is so good it outshines the others. Sand filters have a characteristic of being a little easier to handle dirtier pool environments so that's a plus if you have that kind of environment.

That said, that ClearPro Technology is a new development that is not widely on the market. It provides ultra-fine fingers that catch tiny, tiny particles.....therein negating somewhat a sand filters advantage to handle a lot of debris.

Pool water maintained by an ordinary sand filter will look crystal clear if it is managed properly. Likewise it will look at least as good if you choose a cartridge or DE.

There is no right or wrong. My personal choice would be a sand filter without the ClearPro fingers because of the newness of that product but that is a PERSONAL choice and by no means represents a majority opinion on the forum.

Be sure that your filter is large enough to handle the GPM delivery of your pump. Filters have a GPM rating and it should be about 25% larger than your pumps GPM.

I've either owned or cared for all three types. I'd go with sand hands down.

That said, cartridge filters that are appropriately sized are going to be much easier to deal with than those that are marginal just because you won't have to clean as often.

Can't comment on the ClearPro.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.