Cape Coral, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
I have an in-ground 14,000 gallon pool with an American Pool Supply System salt water generating system, model PSC 3, with a Resilience A5 salt cell. The system, I believe, is about 5 years old and worked property when I bought the house--about 1 year ago--until about 4 months ago. At that time the salt cell started getting calcified every time within a week of cleaning. Also, if I clean the cell, the maximum output will only go to 10%.

I tried to have the cell tested at the local pool stores but they say they either don't do the testing, or they only test different brands. So, I called the manufacturer and they said the only way to tell if the cell is going out is to see if some of the plates are shorter or thinner, that their cell cannot be test. They also said if it were a panel issue, and not a cell issue, there would not be any lights showing on the panel. (I checked the cell and one of the plates that gets calcified rapidly is about 1/4" shorter than the others).

That all seems to make sense to me but I just want to make sure I'm being told the right information before spending several hundred dollars on a replacement cell.

Thanks....

I normally do my own testing but I was going to Leslies yesterday so I took a water sample and had them analyze it. The chlorine is a bit high since I broadcast some a couple of days ago; overall, the chemistry has been stable over the last few weeks.

3-11-13poolanalysis2_zpsb877cf66.jpeg

I am sure that some others will chime in, but you really need to raise your CYA level. Most SWCG manufacturers recommend at least 60 ppm. This will help keep your chlorine levels up and lower the load on your cell.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.