Flocculants or clarifying agents...

Kwikee

Feb 13, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Do they work as they claim and are they necessary? I have had a problem chasing algae, and when I shock the water, the dead algae settles on the floor of the pool and I vacuum to waste to remove it. If I go through the filter, the water gets very cloudy and the stuff settles on the bottom again. Vacuuming the whole pool takes a long time and uses plenty of water, and have been told that if you add a flocculant, it helps I to clump together and settle, then you gently brush it to one area, let I settle again and vac it out. Does this actually work?

It can help, but it's usually not needed. People tend to use it as a band-aid when they have chemistry problems, so we seldom talk about it, but it can be a good tool for cleaning up a situation such as yours. Often a little patience will do the same thing though.

Flocculant and clarifier are two different animals and from the limited research I've done clarifiers seem to work much better than flocs. However neither of them work if you have an active algae bloom. You have to kill the algae before either stands a chance of working. Floc requires a very specific procedure and conditions for it to work. Clarifier works with the pool running and filtering. It appears that most don't follow the procedure well enough for floc to be effective most of the time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.