Fairly new APSP pump efficiency results

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
APSP has a new pump efficiency standard APSP-15, and along with that they are publishing their own pump efficiency test results for pumps that meet their standard, APSP pool pump database (Feb. 1 2013).xls, available from here. Their reporting format matches the CEC report fairly closely, and I suspect they are using the same data.

Overall APSP is making a fairly large push to get to be in charge of pump efficiency rules. For example, they are petitioning California to change their rules to match APSP-15. Rather than face inconsistent regulation from each state, they would like the states to adopt APSP-15. You need to pay to see the complete document, which I have not done, but the summary sounds much like the existing CA rules.

I think APSP-15 has been around for at least since 2010 and perhaps earlier. I had bookmarked this a couple of years ago and it is dated 1-11-10: APSP-15

These are the same requirements I used for the Hydraulics sticky under the Filter Sizing section. Also, I think they actually based part of APSP-15 rules on Title 20 because they are very similar (same plumbing curves, same filter requirements, etc) but Title 20 came first. The pump data in the APSP database should actually be identical to the CEC data because most of the manufactures did the testing themselves and I believe the APSP relied upon the manufactures to do their own testing as well. In fact, if you do a side by side, they have the same errors for the Whisperflo series of pumps.

If you are interested, here are the current CA regs: 2012 Appliance Regs

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.