Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Testing chlorine at higher ppm than the test kit is capable?

1. Back To Top    #1

Testing chlorine at higher ppm than the test kit is capable?

Right now I have a HTH test kit (not in the budget to get a Taylor kit, as much as I would like one)
    Is there a way I can test for higher chlorine amounts through diluting the sample?
    HTH says use 5 drops of the reagent

one otherthing do these reagents have a shelflife?

Thanks for any help
    Mike

13,500 gallon AGP, 1-1/2hp pump 150# sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

If you dilute the pool water sample with distilled water you will double the testing range. At the same time you double the error, but at least you can get an idea as to your chlorine level.

I've always heard that you should replace your reagents yearly.
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

3. Back To Top    #3
    Yes you can. You lose some accuracy, but when you are shocking it's not a huge deal. Mix the pool water sample with three parts distilled water, and then you test the mixture. Multiply the result by four.

The reagents have a shelf-life, but if they are stored at reasonable temperatures out of the light, they last a long while. I found a test kit with an expiration date of 1996 last summer, and the results were indistinguishable from my TF-100. The reagents had been in a box in the basement since 1998.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Why not just put one drop in and multiply by 5 or put two drops in and multiply by 2.5 to estimate your reading.
    20x40 IG vinyl, heatpump and solar and 3 siberian huskies, 10kw PV solar electric system. Nikon Photographer D800e dSLR.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Varying the number of drops changes the visibility of the color but it doesn't change which color it matches on the color standard. Or to put it another way, fewer drops makes it more difficult to read, but gives the same answer as the usual number of drops.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

WOW, so you mean you are not doing a titration and the number of drops really don't matter?
    20x40 IG vinyl, heatpump and solar and 3 siberian huskies, 10kw PV solar electric system. Nikon Photographer D800e dSLR.

7. Back To Top    #7
    I just realized that what I said might not be accurate so I deleted it..
    19,000 vinyl pool, solar heat, .75 hp tristar, 48 sq ft de filter

8. Back To Top    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by kirbinster
    WOW, so you mean you are not doing a titration and the number of drops really don't matter?
    The test under discussion isn't a titration, it is matching against a color standard. When doing a titration you count drops till the color changes. When matching against a color standard you add indicator and then compare the color of the water to the color standard. For a titration the number of drops matters a great deal. For comparing to a color standard the number of drops doesn't really matter, it is just a convenient number to make the color easy to see.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School