main pump died today!

dirtfrmr

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 26, 2012
chandler az
I have been here awhile, learning and asking questions. Here is what I know at this point!

20000 gallon inground gunite pool with spa and water fall( Can run spa or water fall but not both at the same time)
4 pumps
1.5 hp pentair whisperflow main pump Now is dead!
2...1.0 hp pentair whisperflow pump used for resistance swimming
1.0 hp penatair pump for spa/water fall or a booster pump?
gas heater
solar system single story house have not been up there yet( waiting on service due to a end cap that blew off).
Polaris EOS command center( believe it is not a mechanical timer)

Have a home warranty and have contacted them for service
They should call shortly?
the question is Should I consider a lower HP motor 2speed vs a variable speed motor depending on the outcome of the warranty
It seems to me that I can intall the wirring if everything matches up to the old pumps.
Pool guy is quoting 1400 to 1600 for replacement
Seems as there are better options out there.

Any and all comments are welcomed, I just think from reading and learning, that i should go with a 2 speed pump.
Might consider a 1 hp 2 speed vs a variable speed
I think the pumps were over built originally.

Thanks in advance
Soon to be my own pool boy

Dirtfrmr aka a golfer who is always in the dirt

thanks again

Since you have a separate waterfall/spa pump I'd say a 1 hp 2-speed whisperflo would be a good choice, BUT given that you have a 1½ hp Whisperflo I'd strongly suggest just replacing the motor with a 2-speed if the wet end is in good shape (which I suspect it is).

dirtfrmr said:
Pool guy is quoting 1400 to 1600 for replacement
I'm curious...I'm assuming this quote is for the variable-speed pump + installation and not the 2-speed. If it is for the 2-speed, it seems way high.

Assuming normal retail pricing and depending on how you use your pump, a general rule of thumb is that if your electric rate is 20 cents per kWh or less, the 2-speed pump is usually the better choice from a cost-benefit standpoint. At higher electric rates, then the variable-speed pump becomes more attractive.

Replacing the current motor with a 2-speed motor on your current pump (the wet end) is the most cost-effective option. But before doing that, I would determine how old the current pump is. My $0.02 is that if the pump is 5 years old or less and in good shape, you're good to go. If it is 6-9 years old, this is a gray area and some judgement comes into play. If it looks good and has been relatively trouble-free up to this point, I would feel comfortable replacing the motor on the current pump...If the pump is in less than good shape, then I would replace the entire pump/motor with a new 2-speed unit. At 10 years old and up, I would replace the entire unit.

Thank You, Pump is approx 8 yrs old, cost is variable speed, pump +installation. I am just trying to decide if I try to install myself? The 2 speed seems the right way to go. Unless the waranty Company surprises me. Thanks for your responses/

Ok after a week of negotation with warranty company, Unfortunately the pool pump company got in the middle.
Know that AZ now has a law that 2 speed and variable speed pumps are required since 1/2012.
I now has a decision to make.
i can have a rebuilt single speed 1 1/2 hp motor installed for $60. Which I probably for the service call anyway
I can have a new single speed 1 1/2 hp motor installed for $135. $60 +$75
I can have a new 2 speed 1 1/2 hp motor insted for $260. $60+$200
I can havea new variable speed motor installed for $460 . $60 +400
The new wrinkle it that I A Polaris Eos3 command system.
They say That only the single speed motor can be controlled thru existing electronics
If I install the 2 speed I will have to adjust manually the on/off and speed control on the pump
Likewise control with the variable speed motor.

Although I like the command center , between the filtration system, the spa, the waterfall and the solar system.
I am considering the 2sp motor vs the single speed.

it does seems as everyone skirts the Az law because there is No enforcement.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

dirtfrmr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.