Pool cover automation?

Richard_S

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2011
SW France
Hi All,

I have a SWG pool with a hard "roller" electric cover. To open I turn a key once (clockwise) and release and cover opens by itself until stop point set in the programme.

To close, I have to hold the key in the anticlock direction until the cover is closed or until the programmed stop point.

Is there a way to add in an inline Open/close system? What I want to have is a system that will open at a set time in the morning and close at a set time in the evening. I realise that the closing part might be an issue (need sirens and flashing red lights!!), but this is for a rental property that potentially does not have anyone at the house, so I want, during the empty weeks, to have the cover open and close by itself each day, but when renters arrive can be switched over to manual use.

Does that make sense?

If this system exists, can someone please suggest manufacturer etc?

thanks,

R.

I think your concerns about the automatic closing are valid ... there may not be a "safe" way to do that.

I do wonder, why do you want the cover open each day? There really is no need to do that.

Not sure about the UK, but in the US it is not legal to close a auto cover automatically. However you can open it. To close you must be in view of the cover to verify that no one is trapped in the pool.

jblizzle it is recommended to open the cover to allow sunlight or ozone to enter the pool.

Why does the water need sunlight? People put covers on their pools for months at a time in the winter or for weeks while on vacations.

Sure the sunlight helps break down the CC, but if the pool is covered and not being used for awhile, there really will not be a large CC load ... and the FC will also break it down anyway.

The only real benefit I can think to opening the cover would be to get better heating from the sun, although with it closed you will reduce the evaporation cooling and save heat as well.

If there is a source of FC addition, I guess I do not see why the cover must be taken off daily.

This pool is in SW France as is heated by the sun only. The cover has great insulating properties, which of course work both ways; stopping the pool warming up during the day if covered. In the early season keeping it covered during the day pretty well stops any warming up...that and the FC build up...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.