Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help Picking Auto Cleaner

1. Back To Top    #1

Help Picking Auto Cleaner

I need recommendations for a new cleaner. Unfortunately my backyard backs up to a farmer's field and I have alot of dirt that blows toward my pool. I can spend an entire day manually vacuuming and the next day I will have a fine layer of dirt settled in the pool. My pool was recently installed and my installer brougtht me Smartpool Nitro cleaner but it won't climb walls and generally doesn't function the way I need it to. I need a cleaner that can help me keep up with the dirt and dust problems. I was considering the Blue Pearl. Any help is appreciated as I am tired of killing my back hand vacuuming.
    Patiently waiting for an in-ground oasis.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Can you give a little information about your pool? Size, type etc. would help. It's handy if you add it to your signature so it's always there for somebody to refer to.

I've heard good things about the Blue Pearl, but don't have any first-hand experience with it.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a Pentair Legend, it has 4 wheels for balance and is "front wheel drive," that sucker goes way up my walls and sometimes up a step or two (I have a 'jewel' shaped pool with slanted walls in deep end, but not too steep)...I LOVE that cleaner, you can even rotate the tires when the front ones lose tread, which I did this season (3rd season with it). It is a pressure-side vac., so you'd need an aux. 'booster' pump if you got this particular model.
    Todd
    --------------
    Pool: 16x36, 16,800 gal., vinyl, sand filter, SWG & AquaCal Heat Pump
    Spa: Hot Springs Sovereign, 355 gal., ozone/ion
    The most helpful tool you'll ever have for your pool:
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/

5. Back To Top    #5

I've recently purchased the AquaBot T2, and have enjoyed it greatly. I'm sure there are several good ones out there, but I have enjoyed the AquaBot T2. Put it in the pool, plug it in (AC), set the run time, and let'er go.
    IG 18 x 36 Vinyl
    30,000 Gallons
    AutoPilot SWG
    Aquabot T2
    Hayward S244 Sand Filter
    Hayward 1hp RS1000 Pump
    ------------------
    Leisure Bay Spa - Flores - 500 Gallons
    AutoPilot SpaPilot - Not Yet Installed

6. Back To Top    #6

I have the Blue Pearl and am very happy with it.
    16 X 32 18,000 gal IG vinyl, Jandy 460 cart filter, Jandy Lite2 250,000 BTU natural gas heater, Jandy Aqua Pure 1400 SWG, Haywood Color Logic Light,
    Blue Pearl robotic cleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

I have a Blue Diamond. It works great and would highly reccomend it. Never had a problem in the past 4 years. The only thing it doesn't clean are the steps. Otherwise, it climbs the walls with ease.
    Inground Vinyl liner pool, 18x36, 27,500 gal. Hayward 1HP Super Pump. Hayward Sand Filter S220. Hayward 350K BTU propane heater.

8. Back To Top    #8
    I forgot to mention that my pool is a 16x32 Vinyl Liner Pool with roman end steps. So far the Blue Pearl/Blue Diamond sounds really good.
    Patiently waiting for an in-ground oasis.

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm in almost the exact same situation. (Farmland behind home with a lot of silty dirt blowing in every day.)

I got a Hayward Ultra Vac (also called Hayward Navigator) and have never looked back. It does a stupendous job, and has never gotten stuck. There is a gunite model and a vinyl model, so be careful to choose the right one if you decide go with it.

Also, these are about 1/2 the cost of many of the "robotic" cleaners ($329 after rebate), and everything I've heard says they do just as good a job.
    Good Times

10. Back To Top    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Queequeg
    I'm in almost the exact same situation. (Farmland behind home with a lot of silty dirt blowing in every day.)

I got a Hayward Ultra Vac (also called Hayward Navigator) and have never looked back. It does a stupendous job, and has never gotten stuck. There is a gunite model and a vinyl model, so be careful to choose the right one if you decide go with it.

Also, these are about 1/2 the cost of many of the "robotic" cleaners ($329 after rebate), and everything I've heard says they do just as good a job.
    I was thinking about getting the same thing. Does it climb walls as well?

Thanks!
    14,000 Gal. IG Plaster
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter W/ 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward Pool Vav Ultra

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by jlhaz

Thanks!
    Absolutely. In fact, it comes up and works it's way along the tile at the top edge at times. We have "lagoon" step that is only 1.5' deep and extends 8' into the pool, and this is the only area that the cleaner can't reach well but I honestly don't think any other cleaner would do better.
    Good Times

12. Back To Top    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Queequeg
    Quote Originally Posted by jlhaz

Thanks!
    Absolutely. In fact, it comes up and works it's way along the tile at the top edge at times. We have "lagoon" step that is only 1.5' deep and extends 8' into the pool, and this is the only area that the cleaner can't reach well but I honestly don't think any other cleaner would do better.
    Thanks for the info!

The rebate is now $75 which is why I am considering it even more Leslies has it for $349 before rebate, so final price would be $275
    14,000 Gal. IG Plaster
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter W/ 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward Pool Vav Ultra

13. Back To Top    #13
    I researched robotic cleaners for several days and decided on the Blue Pearl. I bought it from Pooldr for $749 including delivery, brand new, with 1 year warranty, three filter bags and a lounger raft, and shipping all included, part of the package), it was the best price I could find even cheaper than walmart online which also sells it.
    After several cleanings I'm very happy with it.
    IGVP 20X40 30,000
    Hayward 1.5gpm Superpump
    Blue Pearl Robotic Cleaner
    Dad, can we go in yet?

14. Back To Top    #14

Smartpool Nitro

It the Nitro a pool bottom cleaner? Does it climb the hopper/angled surfaces but doesn't go vertical to clean the wall waterline?

Can you tell me why the Nitro does not "generally function the way I want it to"?

Does it work at all?
    26Kgal IG Vinyl liner
    Hayward 1HP Superpump
    Hayward Pro Grid 4800 DE Filter
    thepoolcleaner pressure side cleaner