Rheem Pool Heater Leak

Jul 10, 2012
Hi- long time lurker, first time poster...

My wife and I moved to a new house in September in Plano, TX. Sunday afternoon I went out to change a couple valves and to turn on the heater on for the hot tub and water started coming out of the side of the heater. The heater is a Rheem gas heater. I took off the side panel and it appears that water was coming out at or next to the water pressure switch, assuming I'm reading the diagram right. If the heat isn't engaged (i.e. thermostat is less than the water temp) the heater stops leaking. When I turn the heat back up, water starts leaking again. I even saw some water squirt from the side of the heater.

Any ideas? Common problems that are easy fixes? I have one pump for both the pool and the spa. We don't leave the heat on. Pool isn't winterized which is apparently standard for TX. There's a basic timer and freeze protector, both of which are 20 years old. I don't know how old the heater is, but it doesn't look 20 years old. I'd guess it's less than 5 years old.

There is a possibility that you might be able to replace the pressure switch and everything will be alright. By any chance do you have any pictures of the issue your are seeing? I might be able to provide you more info on a possible repair if you can get a few pictures and post them here.

Thanks for the response.

It was tough to take a photo, but here's my attempt at a photo taken on Sunday afternoon. The leak/squirting seemed to originate behind what I believe is the pressure switch.

Edit: removing photo b/c my quota was used up.

Looks like more than the press switch is leaking. Some of those had a problem a while back where the exchanger flange warped. You can try to CAREFULLY tighten or i should say check to see that the header nuts are snug, and or change the o-ring that seals the Capron header to the flange. Take the lower inspection plate off and see if the fire brick or refractory is water stained. If so, and if a new oring wont seal, im afraid you are looking at a new exchanger.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.