Low PSI at Filter

stick the end of the hose down into the pipe where the water comes from the skimmers.

Then pack or wrap rags all around the hose so when you turn it on, the water is forced to flow back towards the pool and little, if any, flows into the pump basket.

cody21 said:
In fact we did a wet/dry vacuum of it initially .. here was certainly debris in there .. and a bunch ended up in the pump basket as well ... which we cleaned out.
That is an important clue. There is likely to still be some debris stuck in the pipe.

The wet rag approach is basically this:

Open the pump basket lid and remove pump basket.

Wrap a wet rag around a hose and stick into the pipe that is coming into the pump basket and make sure you seal it well so the hose will not come out when turned on.

Turn on the hose or have someone else do it while you hold the hose and rag.

The idea is the rag needs to seal in the pipe so pressure can build up in the pipe and push out any debris backwards through the skimmer. If it works, you will see a bunch of debris in the skimmer.

OK, an update on this .. we spent quite a bit of time yesterday trying to clear any debris in the line. Unfortunately, a hose - even at full pressure - doesn't seem to force enough pressure to realy get it to 'burst' out either end. We inserted in the pump side and saw nothing come out. We inserted it in the Skimmer side and with the pump running got a couple of rocks, but really nothing more.. The Filter is maintaining at 10-11 PSI .. after running it for 10 mins, we are still able to purge a little but of air, but really not a lot .. So I have no idea what to try next. The idea of digging everything up is daunting. Are there drain/line 'clearing' devices that are safe for this equipment (PVC & copper). Do Pool Repair companies possess the proper equipment & tools to fix something like this? ugh, Dang contractors anyway.

Can you try a snake from the skimmer side and see how far it goes?

What size is the copper suction line and what size did they use for the PVC connection between the copper line and the skimmer?

Also, I just wanted to confirm that there were no changes to the return/pressure side of the pump including the filter and backwash valve.

Also, I should have asked this earlier:

Does the pressure gauge go to zero when the pump shuts off?

If you tap the pressure gauge when the pump running, does it change?

mas985 said:
Can you try a snake from the skimmer side and see how far it goes?

What size is the copper suction line and what size did they use for the PVC connection between the copper line and the skimmer?

Also, I just wanted to confirm that there were no changes to the return/pressure side of the pump including the filter and backwash valve.

Also, I should have asked this earlier:

Does the pressure gauge go to zero when the pump shuts off?

If you tap the pressure gauge when the pump running, does it change?[/quote]

Not sure what the size of the copper line (original) is - but I *think* they used the same size PVC to connect to the skimmer. We'd have to dig it up to see.

No other changes whatsoever.

Yes, pressure gauge goes to zero when we turn off the pump.

No changes to gauge when we tap it ... it is pretty solid at 9-10 PSI .. but air is definitely inside it after running for a little while.

There are a couple of 90 degree elbows .. so snaking probably don't be possible. ??

Depends on the type of snake. Some are more flexible. Sometimes I will used electrical fish tape because it is a bit more flexible.

You also said that you did check the impeller for the clogs correct? That will also show up as low PSI but usually not air in the filter.

What is an "impeller" ?? Anyway, I;ve been in contact with our contractor and he's going to arrange his "pool repair guy" to have a look.

thanks for all your help !! much appreciated ...

OK, wanted to give everyone an update on this.. We found the problem. Short of using a Leak Detection service ($$$), we decided that the air leak (suction side) HAD to be betwen the new skimmer and the pump - based on all the wisdom you all shared. Being that the original pipe was COPPER, and at the suggestion of a pool repair service, we decided that instead of spending $300+ just to do leak detection, we parlay that $$ into just abandoning the copper & replacing everyting with PVC .. After we dug up the trench all the way to the skimmer return, we found the air leak -- YEP, it was where the idiot contractor used a Compression fitting between the skimmer's PVC and the old copper pipe. It was WET when we dug it up. So anyway, we eliminated the copper, and properly sealed/connected new PVC to the Skimmer return port, and all is great. We now have PSI in the 13-14 range and no air coming out of the Returns. A strong skimmer now ... Thanks all for your advice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.