cut pool light cord

roth79

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 19, 2009
I was re plumbing my 25 year old pool which BTW, the plumbing is below the pool line down slight slope. I am replacing the lines and a new intelliflow pump. While plumbing I ran across what I thought was an old buried pvc line for the propane fireplace which has been replaced and there's no tank there anymore, so I cut the PVC pipe which I found out was the pool light, it had red, black and green 12 gauge wire in a underground sheath. So I figured since I'm about 10 feet from the light-breaker box I would just cut out and rewire it and put it in new conduit. There is a slab there but I can dig underneath it. So I cut out about another foot of wire and the pvc (gray) cover. I then got on this site and researched underground junction waterproof boxes to splice the wire together. Now I am freaked out as reading here that PVC pipe from the pool light stays full of water? Holy Crud as its now cut and unplugged, (dark out now) it is now going to leak water till I get someone to repair? Can it be repaired or does a new line and conduit need to be run to the light? Do I call regular electrician or a pool conractor.

Any advise or guidance please,

Thanks,

Roth

There should be a junction box that is elevated above the ground near the light. Only the portion from the box to the pool would ever get water in it. The elevated box prevents water from going further. See if you have such a junction box.

You can't splice your light cord before it gets to that box. Often lights come with 100' or 150' of cord to run all the way to the panel. Code requires the light ground to be continuous. Don't pull any wires, because you'll want to use the old wires to pull the new wire into the conduit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.