Chlorine test mismatch + larvae

kitamiman

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 20, 2011
I am concerned about a mismatch in my chlorine test results.

I use a salt chlorinator system and CYA is about 25 ppm (need to increase). I usually test for chlorine with Taylor's FAS/DPD test, and chlorine levels over the last couple of weeks have been (unusually) steady at 4.5 to 5 ppm, regardless of when I test the pool.

Tonight I noticed a lot of larvae swimming up to the lights in the pool, became concerned as to how they could be surviving, and therefore tested my chlorine yet again. Sure enough, about 4.5 ppm (9/10 drops to clear the pink in 10 ml). Suspicious, I tested again using Taylor's R-0001 and R-0002 (bottles new from the store last week). The color suggests about 0.5 ppm and is nowhere near dark enough for 5 ppm. I have redone both tests with new chemicals with the same results. Anyone have any idea what is happening?

I had a black algae outbreak last year and I am now really anxious that the FAS/DPD test has been giving me false readings. Is that possible? I am using Taylor's Speedstir so chems are well mixed...

If consensus is that FAS/DPD is reliable, then can anyone advise re how to kill the gazillion larvae zapping around the pool? Pump is running about 18 hours a day but I guess they swim well enough not to get drawn into the circulation and filtered out, and clearly the chlorine is not killing them.

Turn off the SWG, add one gallon of 8.25% bleach and let circulate for 30 mins. Your FC should jump up ny about 4-5ppm in a 20K gal pool. As for the larvae, you may need to go through the shock proces.

Thanks for your response - I will try that tomorrow. Can larvae appear and survive at 5 ppm? I don't understand the difference in the tests....Is it simply that the R-0001/ R-0002 test sucks? I am really hoping that I can have faith in the FAS/DPD results...

The FAS-DPD titrant, R-0871 can go bad, which will result in incorrect test results. This usually only happens when it is a couple of years old, has been left in the sun or otherwise gotten hot for an extended period of time (or really hot for a shorter period), or frozen. R-0871 should be a clear colorless liquid. If it has turned yellow it has gone bad.

The most common problem with the DPD test (R-0001 & R-0002) is false low readings caused by fairly high FC levels. FC around 5 would not cause this problem, FC needs to be above 10 before there would be an issue, so it seems unlikely that it applies in your situation.

Are you testing for combined chlorine? If not, check that. If yes, then what are the results?

How many gallons is the trough, and are you keeping it circulated and chlorinated?

What flow rate are you using on the infinity edge?

Also, using an OTO chlorine test can help confirm other readings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.